Talk

Advanced search

Correcting homework - year2

(11 Posts)
newplan Fri 21-Sep-12 09:31:51

Do you correct your DC's spelling and punctuation or do you leave it, so teacher's can see what they do by themselves?

I've corrected it but thought I'd put a note on to say he had help.

vodkaanddietirnbru Fri 21-Sep-12 09:34:34

I tell dd she has spelled something wrong and get her to work out what is wrong and then she corrects it. I remind her to put punctuation in if she has missed it out. I never put a note on to say she had help - dont think its required.

dottyhenson Fri 21-Sep-12 09:35:57

Note not required- we know if they've been helped or not wink

WowOoo Fri 21-Sep-12 09:45:14

I leave it. I try my best to stand back as far as possible, it's hard for me!

We had a meeting with the teacher this week. They said to not to help.
Some of the other mums said 'Sod that, i'm going to help'.

If they were doing quite badly - say on Maths questions, I'd worry that the homework was too hard.
As long as ds can get the majority right, i'll leave him to it. If he struggles and asks for help I'll leave a note to say it was not done independently.

redskyatnight Fri 21-Sep-12 10:37:01

I generally say "you need to read through and check that you have all the correct punctuation in your work". Then if they still miss something I say nothing. I don't correct spellings unless they are particularly badly wrong or it's a word they "should" know.

dinkystinky Fri 21-Sep-12 10:39:23

I remind DS1 about checking his spelling and fingerspaces - otherwise its up to him.

Roseformeplease Fri 21-Sep-12 10:41:48

I wouldn't correct it unless my own punctuation were perfect. Misuse of the apostrophe is a crime punishable by death IMO.

newplan Fri 21-Sep-12 10:59:33

DS's teacher left out the apostrophe in the title of this term's topic shock.

I made sure DS added it on his front sheet grin

PastSellByDate Fri 21-Sep-12 12:35:33

Hi newplan:

I chose a pet peeve of the month.

So for instance the last 2 months of last school year (DD2 was in Y2) I really chased her on full stops, which she forgets and then on starting sentences with a capital letter, which she's erratic on.

Currently we're working on removing the 'h' from whith. I've no idea how this crept in - she was fine at first - but now all 'w' words are 'wh' words. I'm having to ask her are you asking a question - What? Where? Why? Which? When? Is this a WHale gobbling a WHole pizza? or Is that your bicycle WHeel WHispering? If not, I'd go with 'w'.

nickeldaisical Fri 21-Sep-12 12:41:45

but what about "are you going whaling with granny?"

Mashabell Fri 21-Sep-12 14:49:07

It's worth correcting the common tricky words (friend, said, brother) which nearly all children misspell a few times before they stick. - But it's best not to correct too many, so as not make them reluctant to write much in order to avoid mistakes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now