Talk

Advanced search

Rahhhh! Should I comment in DS' book, and if so, what should I say?!

(16 Posts)
TheSitChewAceChien Thu 20-Sep-12 16:30:01

DS is in year 1.
He can't read or write. At all.
Not for want of trying.
I read his book every night with him.
We've been doing reading eggs, which was suggested on here, and is brilliant.

DD was reading at 3.5.
It's not that I don't encourage or help. sad

I spoke to his teacher at the begining of the month, as he is going to be assessed for autism.
His concentration is very poor, and he doesn't seem to see the spaces in between the words.

Someone (not sure who, it's not signed) has written in his reading diary that he 'has really struggled with his word cards' and that I should help him for 'just a few minutes every day'

I ruddy well do!!!
I am getting so, so tired of the school telling me that if only I'd put the time in at home, he'd find it a lot easier.
I do!

If he's struggling when they're doing it with him, what makes them think he isn't when I am?

I'm so angry, and I'm really not a cross person.
I'm about to cry too.

Wish they would just listen sad

Tiago Thu 20-Sep-12 16:31:37

Write that in his book then. Then if they comment again, ask if they can actually read.

HiHowAreYou Thu 20-Sep-12 16:35:11

How frustrating for you. sad

I think you should speak to someone tomorrow.

HoratiaWinwood Thu 20-Sep-12 16:37:31

How frustrating! I'd be hopping.

Do you always write in his reading diary though? Maybe overegg it for a while so they can see it isn't for lack of trying.

For all you know, they say "does mummy read with you at home?" and he says no.

nicolasname Thu 20-Sep-12 16:38:12

perhaps it was a parent helper?
or someone who obviously doesnt know.

write a rude letter back, but dont send it.

TheSitChewAceChien Thu 20-Sep-12 16:43:57

Thanks all. Was nice to offload.

I think I'll write that he's also struggling at home.
And see if I can make an appointment to see one of his teachers (they job share)

Frustrating!

I do write in his book, but sometimes forget, so it looks like we read about 3 times a week.
He probably does say no! Little monkey.

Going to write a really rude letter and not send it too grin thanks nicola.
(Long as DS doesn't find it and hand it in!)

bizzey Thu 20-Sep-12 16:48:28

Oh deffinatly write some thing and show teacher ........I had the same thing happen to me .....someone wrote in his book.....xxx has trouble with the letter "s" and could I practice lots of "S" words at home with him ..........

I wrote back that I was fully aware of xxxxx problems with certain letters and sounds ....which is why I take him to speach and language therapy (!!!)

Class teacher was furious ...apparently it was a parent helper who had no right to make that sort of comment....

oddgirl Thu 20-Sep-12 18:23:04

That reminds me of the time a parent helper kindly wrote in DS book "DS seems to have some problems with communication". I just wrote back "Yes..that will be his autism...."

TheSitChewAceChien Thu 20-Sep-12 18:31:45

Grrr on your behalf bizzey and oddgirl!

Some people do get a bit power crazed don't they?

lionheart Thu 20-Sep-12 23:12:35

It might also be worth looking at the threads about behavioural optometry on here too.

rrbrigi Fri 21-Sep-12 11:10:38

Sorry to hear that your DS struggle with reading. I do not want to be rude, but I would like to ask kindly if your son has glasses? The reason why I ask because my son had problem with reading and I took him to the doctor he got glasses (because he has slightly squint eyes and he has long site something). Since he has the glasses no problem at all and he enjoys reading a lot more. He also could not manage to see the space between words (lots of time) and he changed the letters in the words as well.

Hope things will improve for you.

BlueSkySinking Fri 21-Sep-12 17:38:36

Write that you spend xx each night working with him

TheSitChewAceChien Sat 22-Sep-12 13:18:04

lionheart, thanks for that, I hadn't ever heard of it, so had a quick search yesterday morning.
Later on, DS' headmaster called (I'd left a message) to say he'd been into the classroom and spent some time with DS. He said that he'd seemed really keen to please, but had problems eye tracking (I think this was what he said) he said that DS didn't seem to be able to follow from left to right, and couldn't tell if something was up, or down.
He said they've already had talks about whether DS should have some extra help, and will be putting that into place.
Think you're definitely on to something with behavioural optometry, so am going to have a proper look today. Thanks smile

Thanks rrbrigi smile DS doesn't wear glasses, but DD does, as do most of my family. I'll book him an appointment to check that it isn't that. He should have had an eye test before now, but I'd put it off as he was a bit 'lively'!
Wil do that asap.

Thanks to everyone for the advice, this, on top of speaking to the school, has made me feel so much better.
Really appreciate it smile

*Sorry for any missing 'e's in my posts. Think there's a crumb stuck under it!

lionheart Sat 22-Sep-12 15:34:38

Funnily enough, just got back from an appointment. It was very interesting, tracking, left-right movements, muscle control and all kinds of stuff that went over my head. The person we saw was in Hampshire (North) and seemed to know her stuff.

Mmmnotsure Sat 22-Sep-12 15:41:47

There is a v g practice in Cheltenham, if that's any use. PM me if you like.
Make sure you see an expert. An optician may well not pick it up. We were falsely reassured for years, until I cracked and went with my instincts.
Good luck.

lionheart Sat 22-Sep-12 16:59:35

Also www.babo.co.uk/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now