Talk

Advanced search

Y1 how often do your children get a new reading book?

(42 Posts)
wanttomakeadifference Wed 19-Sep-12 12:52:19

DS has been back at school for 3 weeks. His teacher was really quick of the mark in assessing his level and sending a reading book home.

They have changed their literacy curriculum this year to read, write inc. although we were told that the books that they send home will not be from this scheme.

The pattern appears to be that DS is bringing 1 book home a week (green band). He reads it each evening (as requested by the school), but after 3 or 4 nights he has memorised the text and is pretty bored of the book.

School ask that we make a note in the reading record each evening, so I've been putting DS has now memorised this book.

I'm obviously no expert, but I would have thought that ideally school should be changing books more frequently or sending more home each time?

Any thoughts?

IPredictADiet Wed 19-Sep-12 12:55:15

as often as DD can be bothered to ask the teacher. He noticed that we get through them quite quickly, so we now get two at a time.

nickeldaisical Wed 19-Sep-12 12:56:23

yes, your DS should ask for a new book.

megandraper Wed 19-Sep-12 12:58:11

DS1 is in reception and gets a new reading book on Mon, Wed and Fri (assuming he has 'finished' his current one, which so far he always has).
It is a private school, though I don't think that should make a difference.

BetterTogether Wed 19-Sep-12 12:59:35

We change the books ourselves each morning. It used to be that Monday, Wednesday & Friday were "book changing days" (& we'd get 2 books at a time) but the new teacher has requested that the children bring their book bags in each day and change the books as needed, so we've been getting a new one each day. The new style recording book is now split into days too, like a diary, so I do feel a bit under pressure to make sure the reading is done each night... Luckily DD loves reading, it's just me being lazy!! blush

kw13 Wed 19-Sep-12 13:00:40

Are you sure that there isn't a mechanism for changing books in the classroom? My DS in Yr1 had to put the book (+reading record) in a special place and it was then changed.

FunnysInLaJardin Wed 19-Sep-12 13:03:45

we have read write inc and last year in yr1 was seemed to get about a book a week which he knew off by heart. He is now in yr2 and so far we have had 2 books this week. I think that sounds about right for the scheme. I would read other things with him too though if you are worried about how much he is reading

noramum Wed 19-Sep-12 13:07:47

DD gets a new book every day. They can choose the new one from the box with "their" colour and we read each evening. The diary is check on the day they read with the teacher (only once a week).

So far this year we only had once a book which we didn't finish on the day so we read the remaining part in bed to her.

The school doesn't follow a system, we get everything from ORT to Toddler Book like The Hungry Caterpillar or "I don't like Peas".

FunnysInLaJardin Wed 19-Sep-12 13:08:54

btw for read write inc they read in their groups and then change books all at once in their next literacy lesson, so all the group will be reading the same books at once.

mummynoseynora Wed 19-Sep-12 13:09:21

DD chooses her own each day

NeverKnowinglyUnderstood Wed 19-Sep-12 13:11:36

we get a new book each time we have finished one.
I do have to remind DS2 to change his book as he often forgets and says to the teacher tht we haven't finished. (because he can't be bothered to stop what he is doing and go and change it!)

aristocat Wed 19-Sep-12 13:12:26

at my DCs school the children in KS1 are listened to at least 3 times per week. each book needs to be read at home and then at school before the next book is given (unless the pupil is on stage 7 or more).

get DS to ask for another book.

Rosebud05 Wed 19-Sep-12 13:20:03

Check with the teacher re book changing between reading days. That they had such a system in my dc's school only came to my attention half way through the year.

DD has never wanted to read a book more than once - we used to read that on reading books days then ones from the library on others.

EnjoyGOLDResponsibly Wed 19-Sep-12 13:28:56

We get a new book every day, DS reads with an adult 3 days a week.

Often I write in the contact book that we've made little progress due to tiredness, but we don't get it again. More it seems the book is changed to ensure continued variety and exposure to different sentences and pictures.

Have a chat with DS's teacher to understand her approach.

GoldenGreen Wed 19-Sep-12 13:31:11

Only ever had one book a week. Still the same and ds is now in Yr 2. We are only expected to make one comment in the book though - seems strange to expect a child to read the same book every night?

wanttomakeadifference Wed 19-Sep-12 13:33:18

Thanks for the replies. Although they are doing read, write inc, we were told they would not bringing books home from this scheme (not sure why, suspect it's because that would mean restocking the library as the scheme was only introduced this year).

I have asked DS if he is allowed to change the book more often. He said no, but there is a very good chance that he is confused grin.

I don't want to be an annoying parent demanding that my PFB gets his book changed more often than anyone else. I daren't ask other parents either, for fear of being misconstrued as a competitive mum.

I think I will give it another week and diesel with his teacher.

wanttomakeadifference Wed 19-Sep-12 13:34:39

golden we have new reading records, where the week is divided into days.

As another poster suggested, it ups the pressure to write something each day.

vodkaanddietirnbru Wed 19-Sep-12 13:36:37

ds is in P2 (eqivalent of Y1) and gets a new book twice a week e.g. Monday - no book, Tuesday and Wednesday - same book, Thursday and Friday - book changed, kept for 2 days and handed back in on Monday.

CappuccinoCarrie Wed 19-Sep-12 13:39:13

DD gets a new book twice a week, but its all done within school - the onus isn't on the parents to change the book. Yes, she's memorised one by the time she's had it a few days, but then she's sent home with another one. Seems to vary between books she's chosen herself and those given by the teacher.

Claire2009 Wed 19-Sep-12 13:40:32

Twice a week for yr.1 and yr.2 (DS IN YR1 DD IN YR2)

SuePurblybilt Wed 19-Sep-12 13:47:42

Like noramum, at DD's last school (in Reception) they were given two at a time and we changed them ourselves within the band. So she did two every night and was heard read once a week and moved up a band as and when.
New school, year one and she's not been assessed (well, she says nobody has heard her read) or given a book yet.

Looksgoodingravy Wed 19-Sep-12 13:54:08

Ds chooses a new book to bring home everyday, I comment in his Reading Book and the teacher ticks or puts a smiley face to acknowledge that she's noted my comments.

GoldenGreen Thu 20-Sep-12 08:32:00

I see - actually should clarify that he gets 2/3 books a week, but only gets them changed on a Thursday - so you can pace the reading through the week as you wish. But I only do one comment a week to cover all the reading we've done.

StillSquiffy Thu 20-Sep-12 08:44:39

Every day. Teachers' choice though, not her own.

PiedWagtail Thu 20-Sep-12 08:47:28

new book each day/each time the book has been read.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now