Talk

Advanced search

Private schools to include for 7+ entry 2013

(15 Posts)
chikawho Tue 04-Sep-12 09:07:52

I will like 1st hand knowledge about the below stated schools. My dd will be taking the 7+ assessments for these schools next Jan and I was wondering if there are any schools I might want to include based on our top criteria of pastoral care, academics, ethos, ethnic diversity
St. Helen’s Northwood
Royal Masonic for Girls
Haberdashers Aske
St Hilda’s ( least favourite because of having to go through 11+ again in a few years)

Our dd is pretty bright, and would thrive in a competitive environment(but not a hothouse). She is very sensitive so pastoral care is of utmost importance.
Our no.1 choice is St Helen’s but I keep hearing that they only take bright girls and don’t seem to improve them overall (i.e. a B student will leave an B student etc)

janet41 Tue 04-Sep-12 11:21:12

we are doing Bute House, Latymer; intended to do CLGS and another but they closed the lists early as so oversubscribed for the exams!!

timmytoes Tue 04-Sep-12 13:44:00

Habs is not for the faint hearted, yes very academic but not for sensitive souls- my niece started at reception but after 5 very miserable years left for Royal Masonic at the end of year 4 . I would describe her as above average intelligence but prefers to mingle in the crowd rather than push herself forward, Habs was just full of very confident girls while there was little effort made to help in specific areas of weakness , ethnic diversity good though- my niece is non white. She loved Royal Masonic but I believe its not as academic, allowed her to rebuild her confidence - ethnic diversity seemed good too.

chikawho Tue 04-Sep-12 16:47:26

Thanks for such insight Timmytoes. I'll be going to have a look at Habs and i've been concerned that it was abit like you described.
Janet41, those schools are abit out of our remit and don't offer coach service.

Maybetimeforachange Tue 04-Sep-12 23:06:45

All the schools you mention are ethically diverse. Have you had a look at Northwood College? It is meant to be a lovely school. We considered St Hilda's but had some concerns about how financially viable it is as they had quite a drop in numbers over the last couple of years.

Maybetimeforachange Tue 04-Sep-12 23:07:35

You could also look at St Margaret's in Bushey. It was another one we considered.

chikawho Thu 06-Sep-12 09:48:52

Thank you Maybetimeforachange! I didn't know that about St Hilda's but will have to do more research as I'm not comfortable with that kind of uncertainty. St Margaret looks good but I'm not so impressed by their results.
Thanks everyone, this really helps narrow our focus smile

mumteacher Sat 08-Sep-12 00:04:28

RMfG is a fab school but not as academic as Habs. Habs pastoral care not as great as Nlcs. Don't have personal experience re St Helens but I have heard the same as you about it from some of my parents.

You really have to go see the school in action, open days and speak to current parents and that way you can make an informed make a decision. Of course you DD will also have her opinion too.

Good luck

mirry2 Sat 08-Sep-12 00:26:40

Habs girls tend to be agressively academic and self motivated with less emphasis on pastoral care but ethnically diverse pl;us large classes and a mix of social and econolic backgrounds. St Margarets (Bushey) - classes are much smaller, less academic and to my knowledge, the girls have wealthier backgrounds and there is more social class 'upmanship' eg 'daddy drives a rolls'
North London Collegiate is similar to Habs but has more famous alumni.

hels71 Sat 08-Sep-12 18:43:52

I have been given to understand that since they increased the classes in Little St Helen's to 3 per year that there are in fact very few places available in St Helen's Juniors at 7+...something you may wish to consider...

xkaapie Wed 14-Nov-12 22:18:24

HI would very much appreciate it if someone could tell me what the exact 7+ entry exam date is for NLCS in 2013?

mumteacher Sat 17-Nov-12 21:35:41

Nlcs 7+ round 1 18th Jan and round 2 30 January.

Good luck.

xkaapie Sun 18-Nov-12 21:16:50

Thanks, mumteacher. Strange that it isn't published on their website. Do you happen to know what the similarities/differences are between nlcs and habs girls at 7+?

bearbee02 Sat 14-Dec-13 18:44:16

New Prep School Head at St. Margaret's, Bushey - has made some great, positive changes. My DDs are so happy there!

Aspire2b Thu 20-Mar-14 17:54:46

Hello
Are there any mums with a dd currently at St Margaret's Bushey? My daughters are thinking of entering Sept 2014. Year 7 and 8. What is the ethnic diversity like. Is there any bullying and are the parents clicky?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now