Talk

Advanced search

How can I make flash cards

(16 Posts)
abc123d Thu 09-Aug-12 22:53:40

I would love to make for my DS flash cards (e.g. maths). I am thinking of buying blank flash cards/playing cards or card from Staples. Amazon sells blank playing cards but it looks as the paper is either too glossy or not hard enough. I would be very grateful if someone could suggest me where to buy good quality blank flash cards or a pack of card.
Many thanks!

FallenCaryatid Thu 09-Aug-12 22:59:13

Use a sharpie on blank playing cards and they last forever.

abc123d Thu 09-Aug-12 23:02:19

FallenCaryatid, do you know if all playing cards are about the same quality? If yes, then I just buy a pack on amazon or ebay.

LeeCoakley Thu 09-Aug-12 23:03:14

A4 paper, cut into 8, felt tipped pen and laminate. Or A4 card if no laminator.

Theglassishalffull Thu 09-Aug-12 23:07:53

Blank postcards work well.

abc123d Thu 09-Aug-12 23:11:23

LeeCoakley, thanks. I hesitating between buying blank flash cards as here www.amazon.co.uk/Playing-cards-blank-both-sides/dp/B000YERGMM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1344549857&sr=8-3

or a pack of card from Staples. www.staples.co.uk/paper-supplies/coloured-paper-and-card/staples-coloured-paper-and-card/a4-assorted-bright-coloured-card-160-g-m?r=bf

Tesco also sells card but not that many sheets.

I do not know where else I could buy the card.

MorningPurples Fri 10-Aug-12 00:04:31

Rymans do a small plastic box of perfectly sized flashcards (business card sized, which is much more manageable to hold in your hands when flashing through them, and less wasteful as you usually don't need to write that much on a flash card). They are plain, matt card, so easy to write on, and the plastic box is useful for storing them, too. I think they were £2.99 the last box I bought, for about 100. Very useful for all sorts of things, and I've never seen them at the other stationers.

DeWe Fri 10-Aug-12 18:45:57

I've just printed my own then covered with sticky back plastic. They've lasted through 3 children!

abc123d Fri 10-Aug-12 21:43:01

MorningPurples, I wish I read your post this morning before I was going into the town.
DeWe, thanks, I think I will buy a pack of card in Staples and make my own flash cards as ordering from Rymans online would add almost £3.00 for P&P. I have never heard of the sticky back plastic.

DeWe Fri 10-Aug-12 23:55:53

Never heard of sticky back plastic!!! Obviously you nver watched Blue Peter grin

GnocchiNineDoors Sat 11-Aug-12 00:00:32

What sort of stuff would you put on flashcards? Alphabet, numbers, shapes and colours, that sort of thing?

What age to start?

MorningPurples Sat 11-Aug-12 07:54:45

For the sake of anyone else looking, here is the link to the Ryman's ones, which I finally found on their website.

Flash Cards

I like them if I need to make stacks of cards, because having them all exactly the same size makes it easier to hold, shuffle, etc them compared to ones that I cut myself. And I'm lazy, as I need to make them frequently!

greenwichgroove Sat 11-Aug-12 23:28:42

Tesco sell them blank. Fifty I think for around three pounds

abc123d Mon 13-Aug-12 22:40:41

Thanks everyone for suggestions. I went to Staples and bought a pack of 100 recording cards with lines for less than £5.00. The length of the card is about 13cm and this will allow me to make about 300 cards.

I want to help my DS with maths, mainly with additions. His teacher told me he needs to know some things by heart and I hope that cards will help him.

Thank you for the link MorningPurples. I will keep it in my when I visit Ryman.

DeWe, I am not English. I do know the Blue Peter but I am too old now to watch it smile

belcha Sat 19-Dec-15 23:21:16

you can buy from here under 5 pound violetofficesupplies.co.uk/product-category/office-machines/components-for-it-or-telecommunications/

Feenie Sat 19-Dec-15 23:24:09

It's three years on now, I doubt she still needs them, belcha.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: