Talk

Advanced search

Tutor for KS2

(12 Posts)
shalik Wed 01-Aug-12 07:45:50

DS is good at most subjects, but can't keep up with writing. Will one to one tutoring in English help you think? Advice please.
Any good English tutors, recommendations anyone? We are in East London.

Lattetogo Sun 26-May-13 13:02:00

I have two DDs (8 & 6) who were born in the UK. I'm looking for an English KS2 tutor in London or in Oxford for the summer period. We live outside of the UK at the moment and I'm homeschooling them. I would also like to have their level of English assessed as our plans are to move back to the UK for secondary eduction. So if anyone can recommend any good tutors or study centres that would be suitable for my DDs then please, please help!

claresf Tue 28-May-13 08:17:26

Tutoring benefits all children, in my experience, including more able and those who are struggling. Having one on one time with a child is really beneficial, it often helps if it isn't the parent as they are more willing to settle and listen to another adult.

FadedSapphire Tue 28-May-13 09:10:39

Nice for the school if tutors are used so they can take credit for good results without perhaps addressing a weakness in teaching...

claresf Tue 28-May-13 12:06:20

Faded Sapphire, it's lucky that I work in an outstanding school then, isn't it? As a school, we also believe that small groups and 1:1 or 1:2 sessions are important for boosting the less able, so we fund this additionally. It works. Generally the children I tutor are ones that attend our school, so I know what they are learning, can liaise with their teacher and target them appropriately.

In a class of 30 children, ranging dramatically in ability, it's a challenge to spend sufficient time with each child to give them the boost they need. Tutoring is useful in that it reinforces what children learn in the classroom.

FadedSapphire Tue 28-May-13 12:19:17

Hope Ofsted take account of schools where there is heavy usage of tutoring at home...
No.. probably just interested in bottom line results and couldn't care less how they are achieved.
Just aware that some schools coast because rely on very engaged parents/ home tutoring. Tutoring very common amongst competitive middle class parents in some schools.

claresf Tue 28-May-13 18:26:56

The ones that get the tutoring within school are precisely not the ones that you describe. They are the ones from deprived backgrounds, on FSM, who get little or no support at home. The school I work in does have some middle class parents, but these are not the majority. It's a very mixed school.

FadedSapphire Tue 28-May-13 18:31:43

Tutoring within school is very different to parents paying for tutoring outside of school.
The school my children go to have children from backgrounds you describe who have 1:1s and interventions which I very much approve of as helps narrow the gap between children who perhaps have a lot of support from home and those who perhaps don't.

FadedSapphire Tue 28-May-13 18:32:25

Pupil premium often pays for such interventions.

FadedSapphire Tue 28-May-13 18:46:11

Anyway- back to op!
How old is your ds? Writing often less accomplished than reading for some time in my experience. I have a 7 year old boy who is a great reader but reluctant and rather sloppy writer. I feel your pain!

Feenie Tue 28-May-13 20:22:36

The OP is nearly a year old by now....

FadedSapphire Tue 28-May-13 20:50:34

Grrrr..... Didn't notice!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now