Talk

Advanced search

Name labels - iron-on, sew-in, clip-on, woven or printed?!

(52 Posts)
notsomanicnow Mon 02-Jul-12 16:22:04

Has anyone got recommendations on which are the best type of name labels to buy? I don't fancy sewing but an worried the iron-on ones will fall off, and the clip-on ones will be scratchy....

Greenshadow Mon 02-Jul-12 16:28:04

Iron on ones are brilliant and don't fall off - but they are also impossible to get off should you wish to pass the uniform on to someone else... sad

After 15 years of DC going through school, I'm afraid I now just use marker pen.

Mintyy Mon 02-Jul-12 16:28:53

The iron on ones will definitely fall off.

I use laundry pen.

learnandsay Mon 02-Jul-12 16:30:56

I asked this question on mumsnet a while ago

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/primary/1462660-What-are-your-experiences-with-labels

RackandRuin Mon 02-Jul-12 16:32:59

I find it much easier to write names on tags with biro. But I am very lazy.

iseenodust Mon 02-Jul-12 16:33:13

Pen here too.

Greenshadow Mon 02-Jul-12 16:34:50

If you do get iron on ones which do start falling off, you could just put a stitch or two in either end of the label - not as bad as sewing the whole thing in.

Elibean Mon 02-Jul-12 16:41:17

dd1 has a lot of sewn-in tags.

dd2 has a lot of dd1's uniform with sewn-in tags, and lots of marker pen on labels smile

Michaelahpurple Mon 02-Jul-12 16:49:55

I favour sewn in, giving the option of making a hanging loop an use a machine wherever possibly ( which is more often than one would think eg fine for shirt collars). But for socks, which I name chiefly to help laundry sorting, I use was-2-label's iron on letters - they are slightly foamy letters presented in mirror on a strip of paper I spell the name, and they work as iron transfers. Much less disruptive of the elasticity of the socks than see ins or iron ins and less clunky than clip ons. They last a good 2+ years which is generally linger than the socks do!

LordFlasheart Mon 02-Jul-12 16:53:44

Stick on ones. I got tons for v cheap- they stick to EVERYTHING. And never come off. Have been using since Sept, gone through loads of washes ok. Can use on shoes bages etc.

3duracellbunnies Mon 02-Jul-12 17:06:28

If you have more than one child and a fairy unusual surname then just get the surname (plus we were able to get a small picture - train, animal, flower etc). I do that so I don't need to change it with each child. Some friends have used full name, but then dc2 objects to wearing clothes with wrong name on. I either use iron on or pen when I'm too lazy to even get the iron out

auntpetunia Mon 02-Jul-12 19:18:20

iron on again for me , they stayed on for ever, ds had the same PE kit right through primary school I bought it to last it was huge in reception and it still had his name in in year 6!

Iamnotminterested Mon 02-Jul-12 19:25:44

Laundry pen. Life is too short for labels.

BsshBossh Mon 02-Jul-12 19:54:51

The iron ones didn't work for me so I use a Sharpie laundry pen. This year I'm going to use sewn labels as they are good to use as hooks from pegs in school.

beautifulgirls Mon 02-Jul-12 21:12:12

Easy2name woven Iron on labels are the biz. Bought our first set of iron on labels from elsewhere and they were absolute rubbish. Tried these and would buy them again without hesitation. Also have a laundry marker pen too though, useful for the odd new thing when the labels/iron aren't handy on the morning!

BonkeyMollocks Mon 02-Jul-12 21:13:34

Can someone please link to some iron on labels?

sleepingbunny Mon 02-Jul-12 22:08:11

Stamp em (http://stamptastic.co.uk/). I got these in some halfprice deal or other for both my dds. Bloody brilliant (and allow me to live out my librarian fantasies at the same time)

Jojay Mon 02-Jul-12 22:13:55

Laundry marker pen here too - much less faff than anything else.

chutneypig Tue 03-Jul-12 06:37:38

I went for sewn in. It was a slog to put them in, but the iron ones I trialled didn't last at all. The sewn in ones are till going strong and I think the staff like them as they can see immediately they pick the clothes up.

Never bothered with socks and use a sharpie on gloves etc labels.

Bramshott Tue 03-Jul-12 09:52:41

The Cash's sewn in ones I got for DD1 can be taken out and restitched into other items several times over. She's going into Year 5 in Sept and we are still on our first pack. Whereas the cheap Easy2name sewn in ones I got for DD2 (Yr R this year) are already fraying a lot and I don't fancy my chances of getting them out of the current clothes and into a new set. So it turned out to be a false economy.

Indith Tue 03-Jul-12 09:58:09

Laundry marker pen.

I spent ages ironing labels into ds's uniform which all fell out within a few washes. Pen on labels works much better.

Solo Tue 03-Jul-12 10:05:20

I bought iron in ones which came out very quickly and left black dirty marks inside white shirt collars.
When Ds was going to secondary, I knew that Dd would also need name tags for when she started school, so I got some embroidered ones done like this:

A. Child. B so I can tuck in the initial I don't need showing when I stitch it in. Works a treat, saves money and the can be reused. Doesn't stop clothing being nicked though!

Kendodd Tue 03-Jul-12 10:12:18

Laundry marker pen, easy peasy.

MrsPlugThePlumber Tue 03-Jul-12 10:18:30

Yes yes to permanent marker... the iron-on ones all fell off after a few washes.

MrsRogerSterling Tue 03-Jul-12 10:39:11

Iron on from here. Coming to the end of reception now and not one has fallen out or even started to peel.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now