Talk

Advanced search

End of term teacher gift: cupcakes? Teacher advice welcome!

(43 Posts)
Waswondering Tue 19-Jun-12 20:50:47

(BTW I've read the other thread in AIBU re teacher gifts).

Ds finishes the school year next week and has had a really fabulous teacher this year. She is into baking, and ds really wants to give her cupcakes as a wee present.

I don't "know" her very well so don't know if she's immediately heading off on hols or what.

My question is - as a teacher, what would you think of receiving cupcakes:
- Homemade (I we could bake something together)
- Bought from posh stall in shopping centre and boxed (would you feel "safer" getting that?)
- Or get her a bottle of wine?

TIA ...

DrSeuss Tue 19-Jun-12 21:19:14

I am a teacher and a parent. DS's teacher is getting a cupcake bouquet, made by me. As a teacher, I would be fine with cupcakes. I would look at the mum, see if she looked OK and then eat them. I have taught kids whose mum's cooking I would give a wide berth but I think you sound like you understand food hygiene!

Waswondering Tue 19-Jun-12 21:39:21

Thanks DrS .....

smile

Waswondering Tue 19-Jun-12 21:42:04

Hmmm.

next question ....

how many? 4 or 6 or the full 12?

AFAIK it's just teacher and her dh (who the class has met).

DrSeuss Tue 19-Jun-12 21:53:06

Last year I gave 12, chocolate, box from ebay, sparkly glitter all over the place. Teacher was delighted. Christmas was chocolate pizzas, also well received.

juniper904 Tue 19-Jun-12 22:21:00

I'm normally a bit confused about home made things. You just never know whose little fingers have been where!

I love home made things, but if I'm going to be ingesting it, wine is the way for me! My immune system is crap, though.

cece Tue 19-Jun-12 22:24:00

I am intending on boxing up some homemade rocky road for the huge amount of teachers, TAs, nursery teachers, childminders and coaches this year. I make the recipe from Nigella and it is yummy.

Matesnotdates Tue 19-Jun-12 22:31:31

One of the parents last year gave our teacher a basket of scones, jam and cream - looked fantastic.

I am doing something like a notebook - leather clad. Everyone needs nice stationery - don't they?? confused

I do Chococo chocolates for our TAs.

BackforGood Wed 20-Jun-12 00:01:50

Might I suggest you do it at the beginning of the last week, rather than the last day ? That way, if she doesn't like cupcakes / is on a diet / is flying off someone as school ends / is just a kind person, then she can share in the staffroom and they will be appreciated rather than ending up not being eaten possibly ?

bizzey Wed 20-Jun-12 12:05:28

sort of a hijack blush....but this year i have 2 male teachers for first time one being yr 6 teacher so ds1 is finising....any idears ???

Am liking the big batch of cup cakes for rest of staff as they know ds3 loves cooking(and they know I am an OK mum iykwim!!!)

Normally I just do a big box of roses/celebrations thing for the staff room ..

DrSeuss Wed 20-Jun-12 19:48:55

The men in our staffroom love cake too! Maybe something less girly than cupcakes, such as chocolate Guiness cake. In B&M today they had posh bottles of beer that you could send in a basket. Alsi often have them too. Chocolate pizza? A make your own pizza kit, with bases and sauces and stuff? Sandart brownies? Real brownies? Something for a hobby they enjoy eg fishing gear, bike gloves, golf balls? A gnome in the colours of their team? I plan to give DS's teacher a banana box as well as the cupcakes as I notice that there is often a banana on her desk. A personalised clock for their room?

bizzey Wed 20-Jun-12 20:16:22

CHOCOLATE GUNIESS CAKE WOW !!!! What is the recepie !! sound brill ! thank you Dr s..!!

LauraSmurf Wed 20-Jun-12 20:27:13

Just add a note assuring teacher of hygiene! Then they will be gratefully recieved!

DrSeuss Wed 20-Jun-12 20:28:02

www.nigella.com/recipes/view/chocolate-guinness-cake-3086

Much more manly than a cupcake!

ElectricSoftParade Wed 20-Jun-12 20:31:16

bizzey I'm sorry but I don't have anything to add apart from CHOCOLATE GUINESS CAKE is the food from Heaven.

ElectricSoftParade Wed 20-Jun-12 20:33:01

Happily, I know a very nice woman who makes them for me. She is LOVELY. Any teacher would be thrilled to receive them.

AbigailS Wed 20-Jun-12 21:45:12

I love cupcakes, but do liaise with other parents. One year I had five boxes (4 - 6 in each box) on the last day of term. I was single and lots of other teachers and teaching assistants were in the same boat so we couldn't put them in the staff room for everyone to share. Sad to say I ate far too many (and it was holiday bikini season) and lots had to go into the bin as they were stale by the time I got to them

bizzey Wed 20-Jun-12 21:46:30

Thank-you..!! It doesn't look too complicated either which is a bonus !!!

ClaireBunting Wed 20-Jun-12 21:49:08

I think the cupcakes would have to be of pretty high quality.

I would personally just buy a bottle of wine. You can't go wrong.

bizzey Wed 20-Jun-12 21:59:40

This might be just me being silly...but I dont feel comfortable with a child handing alcohol to an adult.

If I was doing it as a thank-you to the teacher ..then maybe...but this is a gift from the child to say thank you for being a good/nice/wonderful whatever teacher...not ME saying thank-you for being my child's teacher confused.

I know alot will say "but there is Guiness in the cake"...but it is not a bottle of Guiness iykwim....?

jubilee10 Wed 20-Jun-12 22:11:56

I have given vouchers for the last couple of years. They might be a bit boring but I'm sure they come in handy. Last year I got M&S ones so they could buy wine. I may get waterstones this year. No one would want to eat my baking. Safe enough but not artistic!

MrsNouveauRichards Wed 20-Jun-12 22:12:05

Last year I made a chocolate malteser cake and took it into preschool at the beginning of the last week for all the staff to have with their coffee, rather than individual things.

I did say, "Don't worry, DD has not had her grubby mitts anywhere near this, you are perfectly safe" grin

I think they were relieved, though they did say they didn't worry too much with childrens grubby hands.

cece Wed 20-Jun-12 22:50:19

I think most teachers would appreciate a bottle of wine tbh.

GodisaDj Wed 20-Jun-12 23:05:58

Partner of a Y6 teacher here, he said cupcakes are lovely but wouldn't be eaten by him (he's health conscience and would look at them and put on weight!), he'd put them in the staff room. So the suggestion of giving them earlier than the leave date would be good.

Some gifts he's received which have gone down well: a couple of tankards which were engraved, bottles of booze, nice pen/stationary, small hamper with lovely chutneys, jams etc and vouchers for whsmiths or amazon.

He said he appreciates a note or card from the parents, not just the child more than any gift. Last year we sat and read all his cards on the last day of term and both get emotional smile

BackforGood Thu 21-Jun-12 17:16:52

The thing with wine, is it's easy to reuse if you don't drink / are particularly fussy. It doesn't really have to be used up in next few days (flowers) or weeks/months (chocs), and is great to take when you go to someone's for dinner / a party, or to give for raffle or tombola prizes. At the end of the day, you'll have lots who love chocs and then others who say "No, I'm on a diet / get too many". You'll have some who really don't have the space for more 'nick nax'. You'll have some who love cup cakes and some whothink they are sickly, but, for those who don't like/drink wine, there is at least something they can then do with it.
Still can't emphasise enough though, it's the personal notes / cards / letters that count for the most smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now