Talk

Advanced search

Primary School in E14?

(8 Posts)
Yuso Wed 06-Jun-12 22:18:39

Hi all
I live in the Isle of Dogs and am looking for a good primary school for my son.
I see that Seven Mills Primary School has a good Ofsted report. It'd be great to hear the real parents reviews.
Cubitt Town School is also in my neighborhood.
And has anyone heard of Canary Wharf College please?

Any comments and replies are very much appreciated. Thank you!!

tiggytape Thu 07-Jun-12 12:53:53

Isle of Dogs comes under Tower Hamlets and a new system of catchment areas has just been introduced. There is also a new tie breaker rule about your nearest alternative school. So if you want a school but have another one that's not too far away, you stand less of a chance of getting a place than if you are miles away from any other school.
Its all new this year so it might be worth reading up to make sure you don't waste any choices on schools you might not qualify for as easily as you did under the old system which was purely based on distance with no catchment and no other tie breaker.

There is a map here to show which your new catchment schools will be.

If you are in the South of that area, your catchment schools would be:
Cubitt Town School
Seven Mills Primary School
Arnhem Wharf
Harbinger and Canary Wharf College

but if you live on the border with Poplar then you have different schools to choose from / get priority for. Hopefully someone will know more about each school.

Yuso Thu 07-Jun-12 19:02:37

Thank you so much for the reply!
I know our catchment but at the same time want to know which is the best school (in real life, not just by Ofsted report) for kids. Or shall I say the most suitable one for my kid. I know I should also go to the open days to check out the schools but would also love to hear any inside stories that anyone might have of the Isle of Dogs schools.
Thank you!!

tiggytape Thu 07-Jun-12 23:16:11

Yuso - I hope someone can help who knows the schools well.
Or perhaps you could have a look in the 'MN Local' section (at the bottom of the main talk menu) to find your area and see if anyone has posted there about them?

wsf1 Fri 28-Jun-13 22:31:21

Just had a very unpleasant experience with the college. I sent in a politely worded email asking a general question about how faith places are allocated, leaving just my first name. The admission officer (the head teacher's HUSBAND!!) rudely replied one line asking me to identify myself!! No hello, no hi xxx, nothing but "you have to identify yourself and just first name is not very informative"!

Is my identity really relevant when I'm only asking about general admission rules?

Never mind, I sent in an extended reply telling him our backgrounds and apologising for only leaving my first name!!

And guess what, I think the head teacher's husband didn't like what he saw and didn't bother replying at all.

What a waste of time even thinking that this school may be a contender.

No matter how glorious the website looks and how wonderful the idea sounds, I will not touch it with a barge-pole if the school is run by rude and arrogant people thinking just because the school is getting a bit over subscribed they hence rule the world.

What a joke

Lilystar3 Tue 23-Jul-13 17:45:23

Wsf1
Don't give up so easily, e-mail is not the best medium for judging intonation and some folk are a bit curt without meaning to be. My son is at CWC- the school staff are brilliant and very caring and he has made great progress . They just got an outstanding OFSTED too. Worth another try?

Shwenn Wed 18-Sep-13 14:12:56

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

IODmum Thu 12-Oct-17 12:38:59

wsf1 is right - there is a rudeness at the heart of this school. I have emailed a number of times very politely and got either ignored or not a clear answer which suggests to me the school won't help as they said they would. The SENCo and many key are staff are young and inexperienced and not a part of the senior leadership. Turns out that everything, like literally everything, has to have the approval of the leadership. So it doesn't matter what is agreed with staff, if leadership don't agree then it won't happen. The governors are not contactable. The school does not relate well with those outside the school such as the Local Authority and ignore their recommendations as much as they ignore parents. Problem is if someone is from the private sector which the main Head is, then they can bring to the state sector the same ideology where they believe they are free to do what they want. They shouldn't do what they want, not in state education. But the school know many parents will either give up or leave, giving the school the like minded, more able children that they want. Parents are given their place in the school - don't overstep or you will regret it here. And as for your child receiving what they need, forget it. wsf1, your first impressions were right. I didn't listen to my instincts and thought a smaller school was best and have regretted it ever since. Once the main Head leaves, the school may well improve but until then....

Do some online searches for the school. There are a lot of newspaper articles that are very informative to the arrogance at the heart of this place. And those parents who love it so so much - great, but quick question... when did you ever ask the school for anything outside of what they wanted to do already? Did you get the help you needed? It's easy to love something when you just drop your kids off, smile and wave enjoying the parent get togethers. That's exactly the only type of parents the school wants.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now