Talk

Advanced search

Educational ipad apps?...

(9 Posts)
Badvoc Thu 24-May-12 06:24:10

My son may be getting an ipad with his birthday money (if he gets enough!!) and I wondered if you could recommend any apps that concentrate on spelling and handwriting?

He is dyslexic but has made great progress this year and is now reading appropriately for his CA smile

TIA

Sarayu Thu 24-May-12 07:17:32

Have a look at puppet pals. It's a puppet theatre but you can use your own characters and backgrounds. We've saved images from the Internet, so DS does shows including batman and me. The app films the movement and voice over. It's very well used. Great for imagination building and story telling

threestars Thu 24-May-12 12:16:57

There's one called Jumbline2 that DS likes (he's 7yrs) - you have to make as many words as possible out of the letters they provide, or it has cloud pop where you move letters around and when they make a word the cloud pops.

spammertime Thu 24-May-12 16:17:04

We just got letterschool for practising individual letter formation. It is American so best used with the sound off (no phonic pronunciation, for example). However, for my son who needs major practice with writing letters, it is great. Lots of interaction and fun ways to write letters - a train goes along the track you've written, lawn mowers etc.

Badvoc Thu 24-May-12 18:57:21

Thanks

Johnnycake Wed 17-Oct-12 13:42:53

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Elibean Wed 17-Oct-12 15:00:52

Squeebles are a big hit with both my dds (6 and 9) - you can get the multiplication, division, or spelling apps: they collect squeebles (think Moshi Monster lookalikes) and points towards playing games.

dd1 now knows ALL her times tables grin and puts her weekly school spelling test lists on it!

trinity0097 Wed 17-Oct-12 15:16:16

Mathletics now do an ipad app, they also do a spellodrome thing for spelling, might be wortth seeing if that is also available on the ipad?

GoldenPeppermintCreams Wed 17-Oct-12 19:09:05

Pocket Phonics is good for learning letter sounds, and basic words, and also has them forming the letters with their fingers. It's fantastic.

Going to check out some of the other apps people have recommended. Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now