Talk

Advanced search

Sitting on the floor

(55 Posts)
sidress Wed 16-May-12 14:20:52

I just wondered how common it is elsewhere for girls in later primary school to 1 have to sit on the floor in class or assembly, and 2 insisted to sit cross legged (yoga style). I remember this but that was a we while ago. My daughter said they have to do this and it is quite uncomfortable, especially when wearing a skirt. Is it too much to put chairs out for everyone?

Pooka Wed 16-May-12 14:24:00

Dc's school have them in floor in assembly until they are in year 5. Year 6s sit on gym benches.

Not enough room for 460chairs. Maybe enough room if they were just permanently left out, but then that would mean the hall could never be used.

I would prefer the school to spend the money on books and teaching than on chairs. Assemblies aren't long. And I remember sitting cross legged on hall floor when I was at primary school (and perhaps at secondary too, now I think about it).

ItWasThePenguins Wed 16-May-12 14:25:50

We had to sit on the floor for assembly right through secondary school too. Even sixth form sat on floor.
Tell her to suck it up.

5318008 Wed 16-May-12 14:25:58

Yes tis callled school sitting. All yrs do in our weeny primary

Longer skirt praps ?

wigglywoowoo Wed 16-May-12 14:27:11

Everyone sits on the floor with crossed legs (except teachers and Parents) at my DD's school

DeWe Wed 16-May-12 14:34:46

I haven't known a primary that does put out chairs. I did, all I've seen have.

She is lucky. We had to stand at secondary as there wasn't space to sit. It wasn't known as sardine assumbly for nothing! grin

madwomanintheattic Wed 16-May-12 14:42:09

Never seen chairs put out for children at primary. In fact, we sat on the floor all through secondary as well. Just asked the kids here - the only one that gets a bench is secondary age. Y3 and 5 sit on floor.

It is absolutely normal. All you do is tuck your skirt down in between your legs. No knickers flashing about.

Yes, it is too much to put out hundreds of chairs first thing in the morning for a twenty minute assembly and then get them all put away again so that the next class can do pe. Most school halls aren't that big anyway.

simbo Wed 16-May-12 14:47:04

They always sit on the floor, both in assembly and in whole class sessions in one part of the classroom. The only exception is for broken arms etc.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Wed 16-May-12 14:47:36

I remember having to do this in class for stories aged 7 - I used to get numb/achey legs and sit 'side saddle.' I wonder if your DD has something going on with her back, or her flexibility if it's physically uncomfortable.

bumpkinbillionaire Wed 16-May-12 14:49:24

I was 16 before i sat in a chair.

sidress Wed 16-May-12 14:52:30

Fair enough. Perhaps she will realise this. We were lucky at secondary as we had a purpose built theatre for assemblies/shows etc. and I think her future one has something similar.

She needs to wear a looser skirt that can be tucked down, not a longer one. Her choice.

GladbagsAndYourHandrags Wed 16-May-12 14:53:25

In middle school we had to stand for the whole of assembly. I was always the girl who fainted blush

At that age, I don't think I'd like to sit crossed legged in a skirt if I was wearing a sanitary towel tbh, but I would just wear trousers instead.

LeeCoakley Wed 16-May-12 14:53:41

Who is this invisible person who can put out 250 chairs in a nano second after PE in lesson 1 and then put them away after assembly in time for PE in lesson 2? And don't say the 6-pairs-of-hands-TA wink

madwomanintheattic Wed 16-May-12 15:20:52

God, yeah. Tight skirts in primary are pretty inappropriate anyway.

daisymaybe Wed 16-May-12 17:26:57

I sit cross legged in assembly and I'm 24.

GobblersKnob Wed 16-May-12 17:31:50

I have never yet sat in a chair, I am 37.

We lived for three months in a brown paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six o'clock in the morning, clean the bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down mill for fourteen hours a day week in-week out. When we got home, out Dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt grin

Euphemia Wed 16-May-12 17:44:06

I ask younger children to sit on the floor in class, but I wouldn't ask P5-7. In every school I've worked in, at assembly the children sit on the floor, with the exception of P7 who sit on benches or chairs.

EcoLady Wed 16-May-12 19:01:33

My yr 5s sit on the carpet for short starters in some lessons and all Reception to yr 5 sit on the floor in assembly.

3/4 length leggings under skirts work well for modesty.

Hebiegebies Wed 16-May-12 19:04:32

The staff are hard pushed enough without putting out chairs and if the kids do it, it takes up teaching time

Better skirt, or the fantastic smart shorts Sainsburys sells in the uniform section. Very popular with aged 10 plus

cory Wed 16-May-12 19:35:37

In dcs' school chairs were for disabled children who could not sit on the floor without damaging themselves (dd being one of those). It's the time thing and the multiple uses of most school halls.

turnigitonitshead Wed 16-May-12 19:55:34

either she has a physical problem that needs to be looked at by Dr, or her skirt is inappropriatly to tight. she should manage sitting crossed legged at her age tbh.

GnocchiNineDoors Wed 16-May-12 19:59:11

I echo pp's....primary school skirts are usually looser and therefore can be tucked down when sat cross legged.

Fwiw, at my primary we had to sit on the floor.

stopthinkingsomuch Wed 16-May-12 20:12:47

I sometimes feel for the kids. I think some kids find it really easy to sit in that position. I fidget like hell because limbs go numb really quickly and can only manage about 1 minute even now. I still wonder if DD is the same as she looks so darn uncomfortable.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Wed 16-May-12 20:21:41

Same here. I have funny sticky-out bones at the sides of my feet, which I remember used to really dig into the hard floor painfully. Even if I could get my legs fully crossed now that bit would still hurt.

Takver Wed 16-May-12 20:24:01

We all had to sit on the floor at secondary, too. Which was fine, except that you had to sit down very, very quickly in order to actually get any floor space grin I always wondered if everyone sat completely simultaneously one day whether we would all become inextricably tangled together . . .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now