Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Independent Schools in north/east London

(20 Posts)
lucylookout Sun 22-Apr-12 15:42:27

My son currently goes to Rosemary Works nursery, and was going to continue on to the school in September, but there seems to be quite a lot of staff unrest/changes going on and now I'm not so sure. We live in N16. We're after a school with small class sizes, nothing too formal, traditional or stuffy feeling. Having fun, being able to explore, being creative and developing confidence, social skills and the ability to think for himself are more important than fantastic academic results. Of course we want him to go to a good secondary school, but we also want him to have fun. Any advice on where I might look at? I did look at the Lyceum and the Gower, but didn't like them so much. I'm considering Dallington, but don't know whether I'd find it a bit too chaotic there? I Like it's creative/social skills emphasis but still have a few reservations... Would love to hear of your experiences. Also, what's north bridge house like? It's further away from us, but someone suggested it to me and I'd be interested to hear of anyone's opinions. Is there anywhere else I haven't thought of?

trifling Sun 22-Apr-12 17:37:35

Gatehouse in victoria park, though full by now imagine, and St Pauls cathedral, likewise. That's the lot, afaik. I liked Dalington best of that lot but stuck with state in the end.have you looked at your local ones?

lucylookout Sun 22-Apr-12 18:38:41

Thanks Trifling. Yes, our local state option not an option iyswim. Have (very luckily) had money given to us that we can use towards DS's education, so are happy to pay, but just trying to avoid a stuffy atmosphere. Will have a look at Gatehouse, never heard of that. I know most places will be full by now, and if it's not possible to move him for reception, I'd be happy to move him before year 1 starts, I'm hoping that by then people will have moved around again a bit and some places might have been freed up. Also, Northbridge House has (I've read online) an intake in year 1, I'm just not sure what the school's like, and you can only have a look round once you've paid a £60 registration fee shock!

lucylookout Sun 22-Apr-12 18:43:34

Meant to add, we're not religious either. Want DS to be taught about all faiths, but wouldn't feel comfortable sending him to a school that is too christian in its beliefs.

NoMoreWasabi Sun 22-Apr-12 19:58:40

Might be further than you want but you could look at Forest in Snaresbrook

MagsAloof Sun 22-Apr-12 19:59:43

It is a trek for you, but King Alfred in Golders Green? Liberal, small class sizes, nice grounds.

welovesausagedogs Sun 22-Apr-12 20:20:56

We know of a family that left rosemary works last year and moved to the gatehouse they love it and are doing really well. The classes are small enough that they get lots of attention and the school is formal and traditional without being overly strict. The fees are also reasonable too.

welovesausagedogs Sun 22-Apr-12 20:23:18

NBH is undergoing huge site changes, and there is major upheaval of staff - i would avoid. The family we know at the gatehouse are jewish and have had no problem with the christian foundation of the school, not overly religious just do plays for christmas easter etc.

lucylookout Sun 22-Apr-12 20:45:08

Hmm, interesting thanks, will look more into all 3.

dancingwithchocolate Sun 22-Apr-12 21:17:58

what about the montessori primary school in Islington? (It's just off Pentonville Road near the Angel).

dancingwithchocolate Sun 22-Apr-12 21:22:06

http://www.thegowerschool.co.uk/

dancingwithchocolate Sun 22-Apr-12 21:24:15

Oh sorry. I didn't read your introduction carefully enough. Forgive me!

RosettaScone Sun 22-Apr-12 21:46:20

My DC goes to Rosemary Works, and we were told a couple of weeks ago that the same staff will be teaching next year....are you sure about any changes? TBH, what you have described about what you want from a school fits our experience of Rosemary Works almost exactly, and our DC loves it and has done reaaly well. From what I can gather Dallington may have a similar feel, but I have not been there myself. I think Gatehouse and the Lyceum are stricter and more formal. The Gower school sounds nice but i think it might just be a pre-prep?

lucylookout Sun 22-Apr-12 22:05:04

Rosetta, we've been really happy with Rosemary Works so far, and were happy with our decision for him to stay there in September. And no, I'm not at all sure about the changes. Would you mind if I PMed you? I don't want to add to what is possibly chinese whispers by saying too much on here.

RosettaScone Sun 22-Apr-12 22:16:30

Fine to PM me Lucy.

lucylookout Mon 23-Apr-12 10:51:42

Thanks Rosetta, just sent you one

nevercroup Wed 23-May-12 11:39:26

RosettaScone and lucylookout I'd love to hear more about Rosemary Works if I might PM either of you. My daughter is set to go to the primary school starting 2013. I would love an insider's experience with Rosemary Works. It sounds like a great, intimate little school, but I am a bit concerned about mentions of changes and unrest (and I'd love to know if that is indeed the case).

RosettaScone Thu 24-May-12 15:00:33

Hi nevercroup, yes please do pm me if you want to - happy to give you the lowdown from my POV, and we have had it confirmed that there are to be no staff changes at all, so I think that was just a storm in a teacup!

GatehousePupil Mon 07-Oct-13 08:17:16

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

nevergiveupever Mon 03-Mar-14 19:24:27

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now