Talk

Advanced search

The Tiger School _ is anyone in kent considering it?

(25 Posts)
notactuallyme Sun 01-Apr-12 12:51:15

namechanged for this, in case we end up there and are instantly identifiable! I went and had a look; really like the ethos of it; concerned about the long day; it would mean driving.
Anyone else?

notactuallyme Sun 01-Apr-12 13:48:22

Bump!

notactuallyme Mon 02-Apr-12 10:07:25

trying again!

paddlinglikehell Mon 02-Apr-12 12:03:20

What is Tiger School?

diabolo Mon 02-Apr-12 12:10:04

www.futureschoolstrust.com/about-us/view/1899/Tiger-Primary-School

notactuallyme Mon 02-Apr-12 15:25:49

But are you thinking about it? grin

paddlinglikehell Mon 02-Apr-12 17:09:26

Wow

Sounds interesting, but slight risk I would think.

If I had a Reception child, I would probably go for it and see how things panned out at the end of the first year. Of course then you have the problem if it wasn't doing well, can you get into another local school, as other parents may be thinking the same!!

What about the future funding? Have they a plan for the next 6 years or so? Nothing worse than finding out a year or two down the line that they had to close due to poor takeup/lack of money.

What do you know about the newly appointed head?

Do they have to do that long day, or is it just that that time is available but it is normal school hours?

Are you thinking about it?

lechatnoir Tue 03-Apr-12 08:18:17

I'm not but do know a friend of mine who is going to apply for her son in the hope there is enough demand for a Y2 entry & her youngest starting reception 2013. Her DS is really not progressing (& starting to play up) at his current primary and added to her need for wraparound childcare, the Tiger School would be ideal for her.
As other poster has said I'd go for it if the hours work but only if there was some evidence of longer term stability.
LCN

notactuallyme Tue 03-Apr-12 08:53:47

yes, went to see it. we have got our first choice la school; but i feel a bit unsure - maybe i am missing out on something? the wrap around is enrichment stuff, so not a must do.

seeker Tue 03-Apr-12 09:08:50

Who's backing it?

fluffygal Tue 03-Apr-12 09:09:06

My friend is definitely sending her son there as she didn't get any of her choices. I haven't seen it as I am the other side of town though.

notactuallyme Tue 03-Apr-12 09:38:21

seeker a trust which runs a couple of other acadmies i think.

fluffy - is your friend happy about that?

seeker Tue 03-Apr-12 09:40:19

But who is behind the Trust?

Ghoulwithadragontattoo Tue 03-Apr-12 09:40:39

Do you need the long hours for work? If not I think I would go for your LA school as you got your first choice and Tiger School is an unknown quantity at the moment. We are in Kent but not Maidstone so not that familiar with the local schools.

seeker Tue 03-Apr-12 10:02:29

Seriously, does nobody else wonder who's backing it and what's in it for them?

Ghoulwithadragontattoo Tue 03-Apr-12 10:48:02

Seeker - I wonder. With all free schools I would want to know who was behind it. I have also seen an article where someone criticised the Tiger School and then changed his mind very shortly after (which made me wonder whether those running it had put some pressure on him to change his view).

fluffygal Tue 03-Apr-12 15:57:01

Yes she is happy I think, they found out whether he had got in or not in January and was very happy then, and she definitely doesn't want to send her son to the offered school (Park Way) and didn't get any of her chosen ones. I have no idea what Tiger is about though and not sure how much she has looked into it.

notactuallyme Tue 03-Apr-12 17:27:10

Part of me feels that academies and free schools are (like it or not) the future and that la maintained schools are on the way out. So I could be part of something exciting? Plus,altho the la school is highly praised neither of mine read very well til the middle of year 2.

Nipplebuster Mon 23-Apr-12 13:14:49

Don't know anything about Tiger School - sorry. I am wondering why some other local schools have such bad reputations - is this historic?

mummiekins Mon 23-Apr-12 13:56:57

NB I haven't lived there for years but...

Nipple - Tiger sits on a site of a failed old secondary school.
It is also a strange location, by road in a nice village but with a very large council estate of poor reputation nearby as the crow flies.

Maidstone has so many good village primaries, I guess these days they must all be hugely oversubscribed with ever shrinking catchments.

I, like Seeker, want to know more about who is behind the school.

shattereddreams Thu 24-May-12 17:46:08

Notactuallyme
This is very odd but I know the new Yr teacher! I recently discovered a friend is taking up a post at Tiger
Pm me

LeeCoakley Thu 24-May-12 18:23:05

Sounds good. Where are they putting everyone though? It was meant to be one-form entry, they applied for two-form entry once they realised how many applications they had and now apparently they have 76 in reception for September and it's been okayed by the DofE. They are going to need at least double the space they originally intended and will they sustain the promised high level of education for the unexpectedly high numbers?

Nipplebuster Tue 12-Jun-12 14:23:34

Are they more popular because of Madginfords poor Ofsted? or is it just a rise in numbers? Is there space? What about when they have all 7 year groups of primary?

mmmaza Wed 14-Nov-12 12:16:44

I wondered what everyone's thoughts were on this since they've had their open day and the reception classes are now in full swing. I went to have a look recently and have a good few concerns but wondered what everyone else's thoughts were.

mmmaza Wed 14-Nov-12 17:55:57

Bump

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now