Talk

Advanced search

Get £10 off your first lesson with Mumsnet-Rated tutoring service Tutorful here

sex education for year 6............

(16 Posts)
rightvswrong Sat 31-Mar-12 21:31:41

My ds had a sex education session last month. As a family we have nothing against it. However a child asked if sex hurts and the teacher went into a long explanation about whether the vagina is moist or not!!! In your opinions is this ok? Is it common practice?
The agreement was that they would ask the children to discuss any questions they have with their parents.

Shallishanti Sat 31-Mar-12 21:36:54

yes, that's OK
a child is quite likely to wonder if it hurts, it's a reasonable question, and the answer involves explaining that an aroused vagina is moist, I'm not sure why you have a problem with it ?
Mind you am slightly surprised the teacher was able to give such a straightforward answer as ime Y6 teachers prone to blush when saying 'vagina' and prefer to hand the job over to school nursed

Sunscorch Sat 31-Mar-12 21:47:26

Going by your previous descriptions of the year six teacher in your child's school, you should be glad they got any answer at all.

pastoralacademia Sat 31-Mar-12 22:27:03

I think he should have left it to the parents. 10/11 vary in maturity and he should have kept to the agreement.

pastoralacademia Sat 31-Mar-12 22:32:20

again Sunscorch......seriously are you ok?

rightvswrong Sat 31-Mar-12 22:36:45

oh Sunscorch he likes to talk about these subjects and flrts with the mums.

crazygracieuk Sun 01-Apr-12 22:34:08

My ds had sex ed in y5 (state school)and masturbation, ejaculation, erections and wet dreams were explained so I would have thought that moist vaginas is similar territory.

betterwhenthesunshines Sun 01-Apr-12 23:09:39

Sensible question. Fairly sensible answer. I think it's difficult at this age though as some children are more capable of hearing and dealing with more complex answers than others. I would probably just make sure that I have covered the same answer agai at home in a way that makes sense for my child. The fact that you KNOW this was asked and answered is a good sign - yes? It means they are happy to report to you and ask more.

I think though, if I were a teacher, my answer would be more along the lines of "No, it should't hurt if everything's OK" and leave it to the individual.

Sunscorch Mon 02-Apr-12 07:45:09

oh Sunscorch he likes to talk about these subjects and flrts with the mums.

What's this? Drip-feeding extra information after the OP?
I'm sensing a pattern, here.

pastoralacademia Tue 03-Apr-12 07:35:44

"I'm sensing a pattern, here." I am sensing agression in you Sunscorch. Are you ok?

Sunscorch Tue 03-Apr-12 08:03:23

I am sensing agression in you Sunscorch. Are you ok?

Honestly, if that came across as aggressive, I'd be more worried about whether you were ok.

pastoralacademia Tue 03-Apr-12 08:55:28

well you are refering to the OP's other thread and I am refering to your other posts as well. Why are you so deffensive? any similarities here?

Sunscorch Tue 03-Apr-12 16:18:14

I am refering to your other posts as well

No, you were quite clearly referring to the post you quoted.
Otherwise, why quote it?

Why are you so deffensive? any similarities here?

This isn't defensiveness, this is an unwillingness to be stirred into a frenzy by someone posting what they believe to be inflammatory tidbits of information in an effort to provoke a reaction.

Perhaps a more pertinent question might be to ask why you're so keen to leap to the defense of this poster. And here I am including this thread and the one on tutoring.

pastoralacademia Tue 03-Apr-12 20:11:18

Oh I see you are worried about the private tuition you are offering and of course..........i am sure you kow what i am talking about. I won't carry on with this conversation as you might start talking about "....crap..." as you did in other posts.

Sunscorch Tue 03-Apr-12 20:26:32

Oh I see you are worried about the private tuition you are offering

You mean private swimming lessons? I'm not at all worried about those, no.
I think we can all see that the real reason you're not carrying on with the "conversation" is that you've not made a a single valid point since the start.

jenny5845 Wed 21-Jan-15 10:24:29

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: