Talk

Advanced search

A teacher charges £30/hr to tutor some of his own pupils, is it ok?

(155 Posts)
rightvswrong Sun 25-Mar-12 16:07:41

A teacher at my ds' primary school has been tutoring 3 children in his class for a while now. Few of us, parents at the school, think it is tottaly wrong. What do you think?

TheFallenMadonna Sun 25-Mar-12 16:09:09

Do you think he should do it for free? Or not at all?

Dolcegusto Sun 25-Mar-12 16:09:40

Why do you think it's wrong?

SchoolsNightmare Sun 25-Mar-12 16:10:38

Why do you think it is totally wrong? A lot of teachers do paid tuition work. If he or she wasn't tutoring those children it would be 3 others. It is the fact that the teacher does other paid work outside hours or the fact that their 'customers' are known to you all that makes you think it is wrong?

ZZZenAgain Sun 25-Mar-12 16:11:29

I don't see why the teacher should not be paid to tutor after school. Why does it bother you?

Pooka Sun 25-Mar-12 16:11:48

Nothing wrong with it IMO.

He can't do it for free! That seems like the going rate. If he wants to tutor, then tutoring children that he will absolutely know in terms of their strengths/weaknesses seems ideal to me.

I take it he's doing it in his free time and not during school hours?

So what's the problem then?

TheMonster Sun 25-Mar-12 16:12:48

I don't think there is anything wrong with tutoring. I wouldn't feel comfortable tutoring pupils that I taught.
When I used to work through a tutoring agency, we were not allowed to tutor children from the school we worked in, even if we didn't directly teach them.

Catsdontcare Sun 25-Mar-12 16:13:22

Why do you feel it's wrong?

If it's outside school hours then none of your business really

rightvswrong Sun 25-Mar-12 16:16:39

WOW! I am shocked. Have you thought of favoring the one who pays over the one who doesn't? This teacher warns his customers about exams when others are not. His conversations with their parents in their homes are totally wrong as he is discussing private matters with them regarding other children....the list is long...How about professionalism?

rightvswrong Sun 25-Mar-12 16:18:46

Body- I agree with you. There is nothing with tutoring or charging for it at all, the problem is tutoring the children in his class.

IndigoBell Sun 25-Mar-12 16:22:52

I'd be very disturbed if I found out my child's teacher was tutoring kids in his class outside school.

Because I actually expect him to teach the kids during school.

And I'd see it as a clear admission that he couldn't do his job.

DarrowbyEightFive Sun 25-Mar-12 16:25:06

"This teacher warns his customers about exams when others are not."
"he is discussing private matters with them regarding other children"

You didn't mention either of these things in your OP. Of course neither is acceptable. Tutoring one's 'own' pupils for money is not intrinsically wrong (although I would advise against it), but giving tutees information that others don't have or talking about other children behind their backs are both unprofessional actions (they would constitute unethical behaviour whether tutoring is involved or not). In both cases the appropriate thing would be to go to the school - either the teacher in question, or the head.

Catsdontcare Sun 25-Mar-12 16:25:27

Might be helpful to put ALL the facts in you OP. ffs

SandStorm Sun 25-Mar-12 16:28:02

Just out of interest, how do you know what he is discussing with the other parents?

SchoolsNightmare Sun 25-Mar-12 16:28:05

A teacher discussing private matters regarding other children is wrong. It makes no difference whether he does this down the pub or during a tutoring session with a paying customer.
If this is what he is doing then report it to the school. It has nothing to do with his tutoring though - it is breaching confidentiality that is wrong not the paid tutoring work.

mrz Sun 25-Mar-12 16:28:51

I worked with someone who did this and have to say most of the staff believed if wasn't quite ethical( although no one had a problem with tutoring other pupils not in his class/school.

asiatic Sun 25-Mar-12 16:31:15

If he is discussing privaate matters about other children with the parents of some children, this is wrong, but not in any way related to tutoring.

Teachers are part of the community too. I have friends children and my godchildren in my school. Some of my colleagues have their own children. I also have my GP's son, and the daughter of my plumber. Am I supposed not to have any contact outside school with people I see inside school. How would that be arranged? Should I live in a bubble? I'm going over for dinner later with my daughters French teacher, who is also an old friend. I tutor too. It would not be possible to tutor any child who did not have sdome connection with my school, as it is the largest school locally.

Some schools do keep a registar of teachers and students who are connected outside school, but it can be hard to keep up to date, I certainly wouldn't know exactly what connection my friends and aquaintances have with my school

MadameChinLegs Sun 25-Mar-12 16:33:13

It is also possible for him to doctor his class' abilities in order for them to need further tutuoring too.

fivecandles Sun 25-Mar-12 16:35:30

Have been asked to do this quite a few times in my career and always say no to my own students. I offer all reasonable help to my own students for fee anyway.

rightvswrong Sun 25-Mar-12 16:37:06

I know about it because one of the children shared the information with my ds before the exam starts. One of the mums told me things that he shared with her that made me boil few times. The head knows about it already but all what she did is charging him £10 tutoring in the school!!

SchoolsNightmare Sun 25-Mar-12 16:37:17

It is a bit of a leap to suggest he deliberately sabbotages his daily classroom lessons just to create a class of struggling children and drum up trade for tutoring!!

The tutoring in itself is not wrong but could leave him open to complaints and accusations. If it is true that he is discussing other pupils or in some way favouring the tutored children then that is wrong but a separate issue.

MadameChinLegs Sun 25-Mar-12 16:38:30

Schools, I didnt say he DID, i'm just saying he could.

Bonsoir Sun 25-Mar-12 16:38:30

This happens a lot in my DD's school and I think it is highly unethical for teachers to tutor children in their own class (or even the year group that they teach). However, I think it is fair enough for teachers to tutor children who have already been through their class and are known to them - children who are struggling often have a favourite teacher whom they trust and this can be an excellent way of helping them.

rightvswrong Sun 25-Mar-12 16:43:41

Bonsoir- totally agree.

corblimeymadam Sun 25-Mar-12 16:44:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now