Talk

Advanced search

Any good independent schools in Kingston-Upon-Thames??

(8 Posts)
yiyi1906 Mon 05-Mar-12 12:50:01

Hi there, I am new to Mumsnet.

My son is 1 and we live in North Kingston, there are 2 outstanding primary schools within walking distance (Fern Hill & Latchmere). We are also considering sending him to independent school, just wondering is there any good ones around?

If not, should he just go to state school?

Any advice welcome, thank you.

crazygracieuk Mon 05-Mar-12 12:56:36

If your son is academic then Kings College in Wimbledon or Kingston Grammar might fit the bill? Tiffin's is a state school and very academic (but super competitive to get in)

crazygracieuk Mon 05-Mar-12 12:57:20

Sorry my recommendations are for secondary schools.. oops!!

yiyi1906 Mon 05-Mar-12 13:42:18

Thanks Gracie, yes I am looking for primary schools smile

letsblowthistacostand Mon 05-Mar-12 17:23:25

Fern Hill and Latchmere are both fabulous schools, there's really no need to go private if you get into either. There are lots of extras you can do in the area, music, drama, sports... I'd save my money for secondary!

That said, Park Hill is a nice little pre-prep on Queens Road near the park. They take children from 2 1/2 and generally don't have a waiting list (because of all the fab state schools.)

Michaelahpurple Mon 05-Mar-12 22:18:19

Kings Wimbledon starts at year 3 so not that far off - if you like you will want to set yourself up for it.

user1487342522 Thu 23-Feb-17 20:09:25

Hi,

I need some advice. I'm choosing between sending my DD to a state school or an independent school. What is the difference between the two? And are there variations amongst the independent schools (or are they all the same?)?

Thanks in advance!

Pop2 Sat 25-Feb-17 21:22:59

Look at Rokeby but it is literally a lottery to get a place.Also look at Wimbledon preps such as Rowans and Donhead.The independents will push them hard from day one ,for example they will make them do joined up writing from reception whilst the state schools let them play.This may sound flippant but I don't mean it to be and all the Kingston primaries are excellent.
Some say prep schools help their pupils to get into very competitive selective secondaries.Add to this superb facilities and you have to make up your mind if the astronomical cost is worth it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now