Talk

Advanced search

Good schools in Milton keynes. State or private.

(13 Posts)
slp123 Thu 08-Dec-11 22:55:09

Just really looking for some opinions on primary schools in or near Milton Keynes. Would be interested to hear about any private school experiences too.
Thank you

onthebus Fri 09-Dec-11 09:39:24

"in or near Milton Keynes" covers a very wide area grin .

In Milton Keynes I think "most" state primary schools are perfectly fine. As is ever the case a school that one parent raves about might be a nightmare for another. I think most people tend to go to their local school, so if you choose to live in a more "middle class" area that will likely be the demographic of the school. My DC are at an Ofsted satisfactory school, but I really like it.

Private options are Bury Lawn in the north of the town and Broughton Manor/Mk Prep/Ravenscourt (those are all linked) . I know a few parents with children at Broughton Manor who all like it but I believe it is very heavily academic.

If you think you'll be in the same place for secondary, it's worth looking at those as well - quite a few of the secondaries in the town only take a handful of out of catchment children.

manicinsomniac Fri 09-Dec-11 10:13:56

I don't know much about the state primaries but I guess it's area dependent - ie, those in Woburn Sands, Emerson Valley etc are probably good whereas I know there are some dodgy ones around the Bletchely area (Chestnuts and Watermead I think I have heard bad things about). Probably most are fine though.

Private:
The Grove - haven't heard good things. I don't think it gives that much that a state primary wouldn't.
MK Prep/Broughton Prep - Only goes up to 11. THink it's selective. Not sure how good it is.
Swanbourne House - Quite posh end of prep schools. Good reputation for sport and drama.
Aykeley Wood - Some people are snobby about it but it seems fine to me. Cheaper end.
Thornton - very Catholic. Girls only. Suits the more 'delicate flower' type girls.
Bury Lawn - Don't know anything about it at all.

crazygracieuk Fri 09-Dec-11 10:40:54

I haven't lived in MK long but I have heard that the best independents are in Bedford so the children are driven there by bus or parent.

My children are at state schools and there's plenty of good ones round here. I live in the catchment of 3 primaries and would send my kids to any of the 3. I have heard that if you are eligible for a faith school then Bletchley schools are fine but otherwise it's best to avoid.

I would look into the secondary schools in more detail. I live in the catchment of an outstanding secondary and my children attend the feeder primary for another outstanding school so I'm very lucky.

SoundsWrite Fri 09-Dec-11 13:45:10

If you are looking for a primary school, two of the best are: St Thomas Aquinas RC primary (in Bletchley!) and the relatively newly opened Priory Rise. Both have absolutely cracking heads who are wholly committed to the children in their schools. Both have excellent academic track records, especially in teaching children to read.
As for the secondary schools, I'd take a long and careful look first at how many pupils are getting five good GCSEs (including maths and English). For many of them, it ain't good!
The best bet by far is to buy into somewhere on the periphery of MK - Buckingham's a very nice, thriving market town and Buckinghamshire still has grammar schools if that's what you'd want at secondary level. Aykeley is also in the vicinity if you want private.

uptightmama Fri 09-Dec-11 14:35:30

Check out Linslade in Leighton Buzzard too -Greenleas and Southcott are outstanding, Linsale Lower is good and Linslade Middle School also does very well. From that side of town you feed into Cedars Upper which gets very decent GCSE results

crazygracieuk Fri 09-Dec-11 16:19:22

Soundswrite- I'm very interested in your comment "Both have excellent academic track records, especially in teaching children to read." Last year was the first year that Priory Rise had Y6 graduates so I am interested about what you know about the academics there.

Are you from the company Sounds Write or a person from one of the schools you mention in your post?

SoundsWrite Fri 09-Dec-11 17:00:40

As the nickname suggests, I'm from Sounds-Write. However, I know Sue Cox, the head at Priory Rise quite well. She used to be head at Cedars Primary school in MK. As the school started from scratch, as you say, last year was the first from which Y6 moved up. What I do know is that quite a number of parents have moved their children to Priory Rise because of how impressed they've been with what the school has to offer.
As for St Thomas Aquinas, they've been top or second to top of the league tables in Milton Keynes for the past goodness knows how many years.

crazygracieuk Fri 09-Dec-11 17:22:48

Thanks. Didn't mean to sound so snippy. I was in school today talking to the teacher about phonics so was a bit spooked to see your username.

I agree that Mrs Cox is excellent.

joanneandnoel Wed 11-Feb-15 18:38:25

would like to know of the best private school in Milton Keynes for my daughter who is 5 years old.

redskybynight Wed 11-Feb-15 19:27:00

joanneandnoel I suggest you start a new thread

laklal Mon 10-Oct-16 17:25:57

Hi all,
I would like to know more information/ review on the private schools in Milton Keynes West area.which one is better one, MKPrep or The Grove.
Has any one heard any bad remarks about those schools. please help.
Cheers,
Laklal

Qwerty53 Wed 17-May-17 19:15:29

www.groveindependentschool.co.uk/images/pdf/reports/Brought-forward-compliance.pdf

BEWARE of this

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now