Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

feeling oblidged to but children's art work

(13 Posts)
hotmama84 Sun 20-Nov-11 21:04:12

School has just held an art exhibition where children's art work has been framed and dispayed. With 3 dc at school I have just parted with the best part of £18.00
Do you think art exhibition is a good idea or just another means of getting cash out of parents?

Sparklingbrook Sun 20-Nov-11 21:06:05

Oh we had this. You feel like you have to buy them. They are in the loft.sad They did the Christmas Cards thing which was slightly better as at least you could use them.

startail Sun 20-Nov-11 21:06:33

We only did it once, it's pure pester power. We are forever stuck with keeping a not very good picture because it's been framed.

hotmama84 Sun 20-Nov-11 21:08:03

Didn't realise how common it was. My dc are rubbish at art too!

snowball3 Sun 20-Nov-11 21:10:41

I had this just once. Youngest son has a teacher at the time who was a "proper" artist and with her guidance managed to produce something which looks vaguely like a real picture-he has Aspergers and is dysrpaxic and "doesn't do Art"! I still have it hanging on the wall some 10 years later!

candr Sun 20-Nov-11 21:12:03

I used to do this at Xmas so the kids could buy it themselves as a parent gift but they were cheap to buy. If they did not want to pay then they kept the art work but not the frame - could you ask for that and frame it yourself if you wanted to?

Sparklingbrook Sun 20-Nov-11 21:18:11

Another thing they used to do was have the visiting book fair. They used to show all the children the books in the afternoon and they had to write a wish list!! I thought that was awful.

laptop84 Sun 20-Nov-11 21:28:40

O yes had the book fairwish list thing too but not art exhibition yet!!. Just put that in the bin. And don't get me startednon young writer's vanity press.

frasersmummy Sun 20-Nov-11 21:33:10

Its such a rip off we have just been charged £7 a piece.

They gave all the kids the same bloody template .. all our p2's had a fish and they clearly hadnt taken time to get them done properly
ds's had bits that werent finised
But what you gonna say to your 6 year old .. no I am not buying it .. its rubbish

LynetteScavo Sun 20-Nov-11 21:41:01

My DCs shcool don't do this, but the going rate for buying your own child's art around here is £7.50. grin

I've also heard of the wish list thing.

All sounds hideous to me.

startail Mon 21-Nov-11 10:46:23

We do the book fair thing a lot, a real pain.
The choice is dreadful and as DDs get older very limited.
I wouldn't mind if we did scholastic, who sent home proper book people type catalogues .
However, going round the hall with their mates you have to buy something even if it's over priced tatangry

lindseywakefield Sat 14-Nov-15 01:20:13

I absolutely hate this. I explained to my 9 year old that I looked forward to him bringing the painting home without its frame. I refuse to pay for my own child's artwork. The amount per picture given to the school is tiny. I'd rather give the school all the money just so they don't do it again.

PinkFlamingoAteMyLipstick Sat 14-Nov-15 01:37:08

I'm with you Lindsey. Last year I wrote a letter complaining about fundraising activities that use pester power and that cause upset if not purchased and asked for my dc's artwork unframed after the exhibition closed. I'm not a complainer to the school as a general rule - it's a super school - but I do object to commercial activities taking place within the school. I have explained to my DC that there is a budget for term activities the clubs, art exhibition, Christmas cards, Christmas panto, Christmas Fayre and the (weekly) cake sales and they can choose which they have out of the budget. Of course they choose the clubs, the panto the fayre and cakes!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now