Talk

Advanced search

DS just started Year one - we're moving house which means new school

(6 Posts)
Ribenababy Mon 24-Oct-11 18:54:06

We're about to move house and will be moving DS to a new school. He's fairly easy going and does seem to make friends quite easily....we've talking to him about moving and he's ok about it - say's that he'll 'just make new friends'.

As we're moving out of the area - if I take DS on a visit to the new school, then it will mean pulling him out of his current school for the day. Do you think a visit is necessary? If so, would current school be understanding about him missing a day or would they class it as unauthorised absence?

Advice please!

snowball3 Mon 24-Oct-11 19:02:20

If you are sure that he will definitely be going to the new school (ie you have a definite place rather than just fancy it!) I would take him along and if possible buy his new uniform ( or at least the jumper!) so when he does start he feels part of the school rather than a newcomer! I think any current school would have to be extremely awkward to class such a visit as unauthorised-we would probably count it as holiday or educated off site!

purpleturtletoise Mon 24-Oct-11 19:10:05

I'm sure it'll be absolutely fine with the current school. I have never had a problem with this, and have done it more than once, with up to 3 children!

MaggieW Mon 24-Oct-11 19:13:06

They should put it down as an educational visit - that's what they do at our school and then it is not unauthorised.

dearheart Mon 24-Oct-11 19:20:52

School won't mind - and a visit really helps the child to picture their new school in the run-up to the move.

Ribenababy Tue 25-Oct-11 11:13:18

Thanks everyone. I'll speak to both schools next week and arrange a visit. I guess even if it's just to introduce him to his new teacher and order /pick up his uniform bits, it all goes towards easing him in gently.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now