Advanced search

Moving house and applying for a school place

(2 Posts)
coffeecake Fri 21-Oct-11 21:22:16

Hi, DH Has been offered a job as a Housemaster in a school where he currently works which is in a different town from where we live (about an hour away).

He has been offered free accomodation too which means that we will be much better off financially if we move there.

It's a very nice city (Winchester) and we are delighted to move there, but we have been faced with a slight problem regarding schools for our children (4 & 7 year old), and I was wondering if anyone had any advice for us.

The job would start in September 2012 and we would be getting the new accommodation from July 2012.

As you can imagine, we have to apply for schools before January, and we were told by the HT from a school we visited in Winchester that they usually ask for an address and some sort of utility bill as proof of residence.

The HT from DH's school said he was happy to write a letter confirming that we will be living in a certain catchment but I doubt that would be sufficient.

What do people normally do in those "catch 22" situations?

Staverton Fri 21-Oct-11 21:46:50

I think you just have to prove that you will be living in catchment at the start of the year but I may Be wrong
If you can get a letter from the hm confirming contract and where your accommodation is including a tenancy agreement then this should help.

Ring the LEA and school you are closest to Monday morning to check

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: