Advanced search

Exeter Cathedral School or Exeter School (or a.n.other!)

(10 Posts)
GreenGables1 Fri 21-Oct-11 20:37:09

Hi, we're moving to east Devon but are looking to send our boys (Y4, 2 and 1) to an independent. I'm going to be working in Exeter part time so was thinking of Exeter Cathedral School or Exeter School. Has anyone any experience of either? We'll be living about half an hour out of Exeter on the train but there seems a good service, though I'd be interested to know if either school had buses. And finally most important questions - do either do good bursaries/scholarships (v important when three of them and school fees in Exeter are higher than we're used too!) DS2 aged 6 seems quite musical too, so far (violin and recorder).

100lilgreen Fri 21-Oct-11 23:47:41

Exeter School only starts at age 7 though but you could send your oldest there now. Remember it would be good at Exeter because they could stay until 18. Howevrt ECS does seem maybe more cosy and family orientated because of its size compared to Exeter School but both are lovely. Don't know about scholarships x

saintlyjimjams Fri 21-Oct-11 23:58:10

Exeter school was always big on music. Presume it still is.

saintlyjimjams Fri 21-Oct-11 23:58:56

TBH there are loads of independent school in Exeter, I'd go and look at the lot and see which has the right feel. So much depends on your child.

100lilgreen Sat 22-Oct-11 09:30:21

Some more to think about are : Bramdean, Magdalen Court, St Wilfrids and St Margaret's

RunningAllDay Sat 22-Oct-11 14:29:01

Hi - I visited Exeter School, St Margarets and Maynard (girls only) when I first arrived here and had daughters in different primaries. I like Exeter School Junior School, but don't think it would suits my DDs as it seems to be VERY sporty (although I believe music and drama are strong too, especially in the senior school) and still a bit of a boys school IYSWIM, even though it is co-ed. I was also put off by the children who showed me round who were lovely, confident etc but clearly EXTREMELY wealthy (lots of talk of their ponies and swimming pools). Lots of flashy cars outside too... we're not poor, but not quite in their league! St Margarets is more homey and less of a big formal school, but the class sizes are so small in the Junior School that they combine classes which put me off. In the end, I decided that our (excellent) village primary was a better bet for us (and DD1 got a place there after a year). I will review at Yr 6, and on the basis of my visit, would consider all three (I figure there will be more of a social mix in the seniors at ES).

Didn't visit ECS, but it is also boarding, which throws the boarding/day-pupil dynamics in, which I wanted to avoid as DH hated this at his school. (I realise I am starting to sound VERY fussy!).

As for buses, I know that Exeter School for one, do buses - they seem to be pretty much organised by the parent community, but they had a list of the buses at their open day. If you email them, I am sure you can get one. From memory, they were from quite far away - we (20 mins from Exeter in East Devon) were way too near!

Finally, watch out for the trains - the stations are not necessarily near the schools. St Davids is on the opposite side of the city from St M's and ES; Central Station might work for the ECS.

No idea about bursaries; I assume they have some, but you'd best enquire with the school. I found ES and St M's very approachable and once you are on their mailing list there is quite a lot of communication!!

Good luck.

GreenGables1 Sat 22-Oct-11 18:25:47

Thanks for all that. My DS's are not turning out to be sporty, so the fact Exeter School is important... Anyone have any experience of the Cathedral School?

watchdog4 Sat 20-Jul-13 20:08:42

A good friend of mine has a son in Exeter Cathedral School and apparently it is the best for music in the West Country since it is a choir school but they also do a lot of sports, too and the staff is very caring. Exeter School is quite a big school and can be quite daunting for some children. My niece hated her time there as the teachers only like the academic students! It is not my experiences but I hope it helps.

GreatBallsofFluff Sun 21-Jul-13 08:58:05

I know this thread is an old one but just in case anyone searches in the future for Exeter School I wanted to say a couple of things.

DS is there at the moment and I don't know whether my expectations are just low, but I have found it a fabulous school and have no complaints. Whilst we are definitely the poor family, I have found no snobbery or class divide from the parents or from the children.

I have found that there is equal emphasis on sports, music and academics. I would never have put DS down as sporty but he enjoys the games they play and matches they take part in. He knows he's not the best but the school is great at giving them the right attitude in all areas.

DS mixed with children from all year groups from the word go and as far as I'm aware was never excluded by the older ones for being young but equally mixed well in his own year group. I have not yet come across a child at the school who has not said 'thank you' for holding a door open for them.

ILoveSkiing Fri 30-Jan-15 18:58:30

We've found Magdalen Court School to be great for our girls. Isn't it strange how your children differ. We've got a sporty girl, an academic one, another is a real tomboy, Magdalen Court has been great for them all.
The independent schools in Exeter share a common bus service, which is really extensive, covering all the feeder areas coming into Exeter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now