Talk

Advanced search

Need to know a good primary school in Ipswich, Suffolk.

(8 Posts)
LouLouH Fri 21-Oct-11 17:04:47

My OH has been offered a new job in Ipswich at the Willis building (locals will know, the black glass one). He starts his position in January 2012. Me and our two daughters (7yrs and 16 months) will move up to Ipswich probably a couple of months after once he's settled into job. We'll most likely move within a 3 mile radius of Willis building so could anyone tell me the best schools in that vicinity. I'm really worried about the move as my daughter loves her current school and they're reputation is brilliant. I really need to find another school that she'll not only love but also that is strict enough with them that they learn well.

Please advise lovely ladies as will have to get ball rolling ASAP!

LouLouH Fri 21-Oct-11 17:14:44

Forgot to say we'll be moving up from London so really haven't got a clue about school in Ipswich.

Suffolkgirl1 Fri 21-Oct-11 20:50:16

hi,

I'm not living in Ipswich anymore so I cant specifically advise on a primary school but if you are planning on staying long enough for secondary schools to become a consideration then I would say you definitely should be looking to the east side of town. If you are prepared to go slightly further than 3 miles (public transport is good) then I would consider the neighbouring small towns of Kesgrave or Woodbridge both of which have some good primaries and high achieving secondary schools. I have relatives living in Kesgrave and working at Willis and they seem very happy with the schools and the journey is not a problem.

LouLouH Fri 21-Oct-11 21:44:59

How strange that you would say that, my OH lived in Kesgrave and went to school in Woodbridge (Farlingaye high). He went to Eyke primary and Witnesham primary too (he moved a lot!) I drive so distance isn't really a problem it's only because I would be doing childminding up there so didn't want to have to travel too far for my own children.

LouLouH Fri 21-Oct-11 21:50:08

Suffolkgirl I forgot to say thank you for your reply. I'm very anxious of moving there as we often spoke about it but now it's a reality.

skybluepearl Fri 21-Oct-11 22:12:58

I would choose a good secondary school then look at the best feeder primary schools for that specific secondary school.

cece Fri 21-Oct-11 22:16:46

I agree, start with the secondary school and then work backwards to the primary.

aularaef Mon 24-Oct-11 00:37:19

Definately research secondary school, Debenham, or Thomas mills, best at moment, my dd loves her primary as it is quite small and very family friendly, but chatting to parents from other local schools this seems quite common, the small primary schools are lovely in Suffolk. However her local high school is appalling but things may change now middle schools are being phased out. I have the reverse problem, I am debating moving back down to London as secondary schooling appears to be soo much better according to league tables, than it is in Suffolk. So hard because Suffolk is really nice place to bring small children up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now