Talk

Advanced search

Reading bands/colours at primary school - are they same across country?

(15 Posts)
PavlovtheWitchesCat Fri 21-Oct-11 15:42:02

I read a thread a few days ago (can't find it now) about a child being on say level 2b. Would that level 2b be the same in each school? I say that because DD is doing what I think is relatively well with her reading, but not sure where to look to compare with her rough age/year so see if she needs more encouragement or doing ok, or tbh just to have some clue on what we should be expecting. (we are not concerned, she seems to be doing fine, but just have nothing to compare to).

So, for example her school has level 1a/1b (pink) 2a/2b/2c (red) 3 (yellow) 4 (blue) and so forth...is this the same everywhere?

Iamnotminterested Fri 21-Oct-11 16:15:20

I think you are confusing Book Band levels with National Curriculum levels. Pink banded books for example are book band 1, not NC level 1.

What year is she in and what colour band is she reading at school?

mrz Fri 21-Oct-11 16:21:16

The 2B levels should be the same anywhere in England because they are taken from the National Curriculum.
Book Banding is a system of levelling books and is very roughly linked to National Curriculum levels but it isn't possible to say that a child reading gold book band is a 2B only that they are reading a book that is in aimed at that level ...

yellow is roughly a 1C
blue 1B
orange 1A
purple 2C

PavlovtheWitchesCat Fri 21-Oct-11 16:35:42

ah, now I am confused! Not difficult!

She is on 'yellow' and it says 3 on the yellow sticker, and also on the book itself. 'stage 3' but not all the books say this. Did not know if this was a school specific way of identifying their levels or a national way.

IndigoBell Fri 21-Oct-11 16:47:58

Yes, yellow is approx a NC level 1c.

The 'stage 3', is nothing to do with NC levels.

Yellow is good for reception or Y1, and a bit behind for Y2.

Is she in Y1?

Iamnotminterested Fri 21-Oct-11 17:09:51

Indigo/mrz - always thought blue band = approx 1c, not yellow?

IndigoBell Fri 21-Oct-11 17:20:49

Book Bands

Yellow = 1c
Blue = 1c/b

MigratingCoconuts Fri 21-Oct-11 17:47:12

Hi Indigo...that link doesn't work for me!

Could you try it again please?

mrz Fri 21-Oct-11 17:52:11

www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=book%20bands%20national%20curriculum%20levels&source=web&cd=4&ved=0CDMQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.devonldp.org%2Fdo_download.asp%3Fdid%3D5212&ei=3KKhTqG6MIGl8gPcxKXDBA&usg=AFQjCNHP-6KqXoAhF6DrpE7CBjLfhB88aQ&cad=rja

MigratingCoconuts Fri 21-Oct-11 18:04:29

That's a very useful document, thanks mrz! It actually makes me feel happier about DD's progress.

MigratingCoconuts Fri 21-Oct-11 18:06:23

here's another link to do with just the reading stages and what age they roughly equate to;
chart

PavlovtheWitchesCat Fri 21-Oct-11 19:36:26

Ah ok I see now. I yhink. So the colours are accurate not the numbers the school writes on it?

Yes Dr is in yr 1 just 5 in July. Just put on yellow as not really assessed for a while in reception and been churning through red books. So ideally we should be looking for move to blue to keep her track, in the next months?

PavlovtheWitchesCat Fri 21-Oct-11 19:40:44

Ok just reread and saw yellow was good for yr1 as well as reception so she is already on track. i shall let her continue at her current pace !

rebl Fri 21-Oct-11 20:59:54

Pavlov Totally of topic, I was thinking of you the other day. We posted on property / DIY at the same time for ages when you had all that problem with the loft conversation. Did you ever get anywhere with getting your money back?

PavlovtheWitchesCat Fri 21-Oct-11 21:12:49

Hey rebl! how are you? Well...in theory yes in that after a long drawn out process we won in court. hands down. Reality is that he did a runner. got his business name Struck off before final hearing which was to decide the sum to be paid. And disappeared. Put house on market. Think he owed a lot Of money to lot of people. Including us. But I got my day in court with the little shit

We are finally in loft. Swapped with dd two months ago...almost two years after it was finished!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now