Talk

Advanced search

Helping a child (Year R) to be a better listener...

(3 Posts)
dairymoo Fri 21-Oct-11 09:39:16

I had my DTs (year R) Parent's Evening yesterday and was really pleased to hear how well they'd settled, made friends, etc etc. The teacher did say that both of them struggle with listening to her, and often need to be asked to do something multiple times. This was not a shock to me at all as I struggle with the same thing at home! They are the youngest in the class (end of Aug), so I do think some allowances can be made for that....but I'd like to help them become better listeners, for their teachers sake and for mine, if I'm completely honest. I do wonder about it being a twin thing as they are often so busy talking over each other to be heard, but again I'm sure there are ways around this.

Can anyone suggest anything we can do at home to improve all of our listening skills? I'm sure it's a pretty common issue...

mrz Fri 21-Oct-11 17:23:33

Listening as opposed to hearing requires active participation
Reduce background noise ... make them stop and look at you when you are talking Reading with your child or even better telling stories without a visual prop.

www.littleonesreadingresource.com/teaching-children-listening-skills.html
www.remspeced.co.za/Articles/20070701_0001.htm

dairymoo Fri 21-Oct-11 19:51:41

Thanks - will have a look at those links. Agree about reducing background noise...I just find it so hard with 3 DDs under 5, someone is always shreiking! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now