Talk

Advanced search

Primary schools in Lancaster

(11 Posts)
IslaValargeone Thu 20-Oct-11 18:05:44

We have just moved to Lancaster and are having trouble finding a place in Year 5 as the schools appear to be full.
Does anyone know anything about Lancaster Christchurch School, the LEA said there was a place available? but I'd like some info from anyone with anything to offer before I go for a look.

Galaxymum Thu 20-Oct-11 19:57:20

Are you able to travel to any of the villages? There are some lovely village schools which are only a short drive away. I'm from the area and know two families who took their children out of Christchurch. But others think it's a good school.

Are you north or south of the river?

IslaValargeone Thu 20-Oct-11 20:13:12

We are South.
Oh gosh, that's not encouraging.

IslaValargeone Thu 20-Oct-11 20:14:38

The LEA suggested others but I really don't think they would be suitable, don't want to name them here though really.

Galaxymum Fri 21-Oct-11 08:22:28

Before you make any decisions, it's well worth enquiring about the village schools as many are only 10-15 mins drive away and this could open up your choices.

South Lancaster well worth looking at Forton, Dolphinholme, Ellel St John's, Cockerham. If you have car access these all have good reputations. Going Caton way you have other options which are also very accessible - Halton, Over Kellett, Nether Kellett as well.

No idea what schools are offered to you but avoid schools with R in capitals! Dallas Road and Scotforth are excellent.

Good luck - we had thos experience last year for Reception. We chose a village school.

IslaValargeone Fri 21-Oct-11 10:54:27

Thanks, Scotforth and Dallas Road are full surprisingly enough. I think we are on the same wavelength regarding the ones to avoid. We did the drive to Ellel during school run time but due to the one way system etc it varied between 30 minutes and upwards, we haven't completely ruled it out however. It is painfully slow going around Galgate so I think Forton and Dolphinholme would just be a step too far tbh. I'm not yet familiar with the other areas you suggest though. By the way do you know what particular issues the families had with Christchurch school?

Galaxymum Fri 21-Oct-11 14:40:27

It was connected with lack of support and SEN not being diagnosed. IF you're considering the grammar schools or Ripley though Christchurch is a good "feeder" school. It very much depends on your child's needs.

The one way system is a nightmare! I travel 5.5 miles to a village school and it literally takes 7 mins. My friend travels about 1.2 miles through the system and they MUST be in the traffic jam by 8.20 or they won't arrive for 8.55. It's madness.

Saying all that, Lancaster does have some great features! When you're looking at secondary schools the grammar schools are outstanding.

IslaValargeone Fri 21-Oct-11 14:47:29

Thanks for getting back to me. We are looking towards the grammar school hopefully, so maybe Christchurch would suit our needs? I don't really want a 30 plus minute drive 4 times a day that Ellel would entail if I can avoid it, but would certainly go for that option if the other schools varied between avoid at all costs and a bit meh....

olibeansmummy Fri 21-Oct-11 16:24:24

lol at avoiding schools with R in the title... I work at one of them!
agree that they would not seem to meet your needs though.

You'll struggle to get into any of the best schools now, unless anyone moves and a place becomes available.

Does Moorside or Bowerham Road have places?

IslaValargeone Sat 22-Oct-11 04:58:30

Oh sorry olibeansmummy, desperately didn't want to cause offence, but just going on what I've heard,rightly or wrongly.
I believe Bowerham might have a place, but for reasons I now can't remember we ruled it out I think. We knew that at this stage we would struggle getting a place, but I do want to give dc the best opportunity to be prepared for the 11+ if I can, I just don't know where that is at the moment?

olibeansmummy Sat 22-Oct-11 08:05:59

Oh don't worry I'm not offended smile We are in a very difficult area, which is why I love working there, I know I can make the biggest difference.

Bowerham is a good school,I had a placement there when doing my teacher training. The result seem low though for some reason, which doesn't make sense to me,as like I said, it's a good school. There will be plenty of children aiming for Grammar from there though. The head teacher is brilliant smile

One of our teachers has just sent her ds there over moorside and she has an older boy at the grammar.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now