Talk

Advanced search

Help me - I'm going to explode

(142 Posts)
soandsosmummy Tue 18-Oct-11 15:33:01

Another mum has just sent me a link to DD's teacher's facebook page saying she thinks I should have a look.

They've written:

"so irritating having a left hander in my class this year. She's so slow to finish anything and her writing is atrocious - teacher friends got any ideas what I can do?

she told me at parents evening DD is only left hander in her class this year so its obvious who she means

DD is in year 1, quite bright with reading, sums, imagination etc. but just struggles with her hand writing. I've talked to her about constructive ways forward and thought things were going alright

i'm going to explode

bruffin Tue 18-Oct-11 15:41:11

Why are you going to explode- she is asking for help for your dd.

Not sure she should really have a facebook security settings that let parents see what she is writing though. She should probably used an anonymous site like TES

I am speaking as a mother of left hander with the most truely atrocious writing you have ever seen. I wouldn't get upset about it.

soandsosmummy Tue 18-Oct-11 15:42:47

sorry just read the thread title - appreciate exploding is a bit of an over reaction (imagine the mess) but I'm not very happy.

Is there a formal route I should take? I've really liked DD's teacher so far. Would taking her to one side and telling her how upset I feel about this be the best way forward? I dont really want her getting in trouble though I'm not happy about my dd being described as an irritation or having her writing / speed of work slated so publicly

Lilyloo Tue 18-Oct-11 15:47:21

Whilst i appreciate she shouldn't have posted this on fb she is asking for advice to help your dd.
I don't think it will be obvious to anyone else on her fb page it is your dd and i should imagine she would be mortified it has got back to you to be honest.
You could go to the head teacher and i am sure she could be disciplined over it if that is what you want.
However if you are annoyed i would politely have a word with her and maybe give her some ideas of how she could help your dd. I think that would be embarassing enough for her not to make the same mistake again.

picnicbasketcase Tue 18-Oct-11 15:47:42

She hasn't exactly said anything horrible about your DD personally, but I would be cross that she's telling people that she's irritated by someone being left handed; it's not like it's a choice. Surely this can't be the first left handed pupil she's taught? Maybe quietly point out that other people can see what she posts, and you're concerned that she is finding herself annoyed by your daughter's handwriting? You can be quite pointed and polite at the same time, eg 'I was sorry to hear that you're irritated by DD's writing - can you suggest any activities we can support her with at home that might speed up her work?'

bruffin Tue 18-Oct-11 15:51:10

She didn't name your dd did she?, so would anyone else really know who she was talking about.?

Why don't you just warn her about her security settings on facebook

usualsuspect Tue 18-Oct-11 15:54:54

Not very professional of her ,I wouldn't have been happy to read comments about my DCs on their teachers fb pages

The least she can do is make her page private

cinderellasmummy Tue 18-Oct-11 15:55:03

i cant believe people in any profession are stupid enough to write comments about their work on facebook without checking their privacy settings. i am a coward and hate confrontation so i would go to head and explain you are concerned she is irritated by your daughters handwriting and that she is writing about children on her facebook page but ask that he/she doesnt tell teacher who complained

Dozer Tue 18-Oct-11 16:03:19

How unprofessional!

themed Tue 18-Oct-11 16:14:25

very unprofessional indeed.

It would have been different if she was asking simply for advice but the irritating bit is offensive and unprofessional. I would be annoyed too.

mynameischarlesthesecond Tue 18-Oct-11 16:16:14

she should have her settings on the tightest, most private of private settings. very foolish iof her.

singersgirl Tue 18-Oct-11 16:18:15

Is this post really true? Since (I believe) at least 10% of the population are left-handed, surely she must have taught one or two left-handers every year. There are at least 3 in DS2's class, and those are just the ones I've noticed when I've been in class helping out (it's not something I make a point of studying!).

Also I find it really hard to believe that a teacher would describe it as 'irritating' having a left-hander in her class; she must have other slow writers with appalling handwriting, like my right-handed sons. And why on earth would you post that on Facebook? Why wouldn't you just ask in the staffroom?

SuePurblybiltFromBitsofCorpses Tue 18-Oct-11 16:19:30

I would explode, all over the Head Teacher. Not just about the unprofessional stupidity, but the way she's talking about your DD is very negative and would upset me hugely. It's not a simple request for advice, is it?
I'd be printing the screen and phoning the Head now.

FlossieFromCrapstonVillas Tue 18-Oct-11 16:21:48

How nice of your friend to stir things up. She shouldn't have got involved really.

ramblinrose Tue 18-Oct-11 16:33:02

I would be annoyed too.
It's a ridiculous thing to say.

clam Tue 18-Oct-11 16:35:05

Well if nothing else, the teacher needs a shot across the bows to warn her of the dangers of FB if you're a professional. She's MAD not to have the highest privacy settings, and even more so to mention school or pupils even obliquely. I never make any reference to school on mine whatsoever. People have lost their jobs for this sort of thing.

But also, I'm a bit hmm about her attitude to lefthanders/children who are a bit slow in output. That kind of goes with the territory in a classroom and if she's irritatated by it then I'd be wondering how good a teacher she really is.

LemonPeel Tue 18-Oct-11 16:35:29

I would be pissed off to say the least. I also think your friend is stirring. What good did she think was going to come of showing you that? I think I would be more pissed off with her actually.

bumpybecky Tue 18-Oct-11 16:36:50

take a screen shot of the page, save it, print a copy out to show the headteacher

your dd's teacher needs to be told that this is highly unprofessional behaviour and that she needs a private page and that she should not be FB friends with the students or their parents

clam Tue 18-Oct-11 16:37:21

AND, she's foolish if she has any pupils or parents as friends on FB either.

clam Tue 18-Oct-11 16:37:43

Oops, x-posted!

Feenie Tue 18-Oct-11 16:39:18

The teacher needs to know that her 'friend' is actually not a friend at all. She shouldn't have parents as Facebook friends anyway, and she certainly shouldn't be discussing your dd on Facebook, whether she mentioned her by name or not. Massively unprofessional.

If she stirs like this against one friend (the teacher), what would she do behind your back, I wonder?

2BoysTooLoud Tue 18-Oct-11 16:43:06

I think I would have quiet word with the teacher rather than the Head unless you really think she needs a bollocking. It would be kinder just to talk to her..
She wouldn't do it again...

BoffinMum Tue 18-Oct-11 16:44:56

That's a really inappropriate word to use - 'irritating'. I agree with printing it out as a screenshot, going to see the head teacher and mentioning that you have been alerted to this comment by another parent and you are very concerned.
Head teacher should manage to sort this out fairly swiftly.

MissBeehiving Tue 18-Oct-11 16:45:46

I would be very cross with her. It's totally unprofessional. I would print the page and take it to the HT and ask for a reassurance that she will not post information on FB which potentially identifies children in her class.

celticlassie Tue 18-Oct-11 16:46:04

It's rubbish that's she's discussing your DD on what is effectively (due to her settings) a public forum, but I would try to take the positive out of it, that she is looking for advice from colleagues on how to help your DD. Because you say you've always liked her in the the past, I maybe would take her aside to point out that her profile is not private, and hopfully she'll realise how you know it, and be mortified.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now