Talk

Advanced search

How to approach my DD primary School teacher

(9 Posts)
carolb54 Tue 18-Oct-11 14:32:08

Yesterday at school my DD decided to cue jump when the class was dismissed in the afternoon. I have told my DD over and over again that you do not cue jump and that when orders are implemented that they need to be adhered to.

The teacher saw what my DD and prevented her from cue jumping. The method the teacher used was to grap DD by her hands and in doing so she squeezed her hands very tightly which resulted in great pain. I am okay when my DD get disciplined but I thought to myself that the method that DD teacher used was a bit aggressive.

I would like to approach my DD teacher and express my gratitude to her for instilling disciplined in the class room but that the method that I saw her used on DD was a bit aggressive and could have been more gently and that being a teacher that I think that another method of disciplined could have been used. My DD is very petite and in grabbing her hands, DD teacher could have caused some harm to my DD. I am quite sure that as teachers they should be trained in dealing with situations like those as and when they happen and how they should address these situation.

I am not in any critising DD teacher but I just want to express my feelings to her on how I felt and that I think her method was a bit rough.

Should I approach her or should I just let it be?

Please advise.

confused & sad

AMumInScotland Tue 18-Oct-11 14:35:21

Honestly? I think you should let it be - OK the teacher grabbed a little harder than maybe she needed to. But I doubt she caused "great pain" or was at risk of causing your daughter any harm.

eaglewings Tue 18-Oct-11 14:36:27

Were there any marks on your DD's skin?

It's a hard one to call as you are correctly saying teacher was right to stop her, but without having seen the situation can't say how else she could have one it.

Harecare Tue 18-Oct-11 14:36:54

Have a word at the end of the day when all the other kids have gone. Try to make sure DD is out of earshot. Maybe begin with "I don't like to make a fuss and I'm hoping not to have to take this further, but..." She should apologise and then you can ask her how she will stop DD queue jumping again and you can reinforce the same method. Make it clear to DD that you and Teacher are a united front, but at the same time make sure the teacher doesn't overly manhandle her charges.

eaglewings Tue 18-Oct-11 14:37:08

Done it not one it blush

Lilyloo Tue 18-Oct-11 14:37:24

I doubt very much any serious injury could occur from a teacher grabbing a childs hand to be honest. It was probably an instinctive reaction as she saw her try to push into the queue.

carolb54 Tue 18-Oct-11 14:41:04

Thanks for all your comments. Much appreciated

smile

cjbartlett Tue 18-Oct-11 14:44:14

how old is your dd and what queue was she jumping?

DeWe Tue 18-Oct-11 19:48:10

Dd1 went through what she thought was a great game when she was at preschool where she would challenge me to squeeze her hand tight. I have to say that even squeezing at full strength she was not "in great pain" and would come back laughing to do it again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now