Talk

Advanced search

teachers and targets with pupils

(5 Posts)
threeslices Tue 18-Oct-11 12:10:32

If teachers have to reach certain targets with each pupil how can they get away with not being that great?

BlueberryPancake Tue 18-Oct-11 13:24:10

Who, the teacher or the kid? Do you have a specific issue with a teacher?

Yes I believe that teachers have to set some specific target for children, but teachers have 20-30 kids to look after. The targets are communicated with the parents and it's our job to make sure that the progress is achieved with some help and support at home.

IndigoBell Tue 18-Oct-11 13:57:59

OP - teachers have lots of targets, and loads of performance management stuff, but if they don't reach it they don't get fired.

threeslices Tue 18-Oct-11 14:19:44

My ds (year 2 )is in a class this year with year 1s. I just don't think the teacher is able to control the class and get the feeling she is leaving the more able dc to just get on with it while she tries to sort out the year 1s. We were given all this talk before they mixed the class about how each child will continue to progress etc. as the have points and targets they have to achieve. I've just got a feeling it's not happening.

redskyatnight Tue 18-Oct-11 14:41:00

Well that's a specific concern ... not really about targets.
DD is in a purely Y1 class but the range of abilities is huge. For example in writing the range is from children who can just about write a single word to those who can write long stories with reasonable use of capital letters and full stops, "interesting" language etc. It seems to be managed pretty well - each child has an individual target, they sit with others of a similar ability and the teacher takes it in turns to sit with each table for a longer period. Oh and there are meaningful comments on work (that are read and explained to the children).

What areyour DS's targets? Does he know what he has to do to meet them?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now