Talk

Advanced search

when to prepare DC for key stage 1 sats?

(74 Posts)
TallulahBlue Mon 17-Oct-11 12:22:18

My DC is in Y1 and already I am panicking about key 1 sats as it is all I hear about.
What is the best way to prepare at this stage? Should I use any past papers for DC to practice or are they too advanced for Y!?
I know someone who started their DC on Kumon maths to help with memory and speed for key 1 sats, is this a good option or would it just hinder their development?
I know I should chill but it's hard as I did so bad at school and really want my DS to do well.
Thanks for any help

dozydrawers Mon 17-Oct-11 12:26:55

There is no need to do any 'preparation' beyond daily reading and supporting any other homework your school gives (ours doesn't, very sensible IMO).

CecilyP Mon 17-Oct-11 12:27:34

What do you expect your child to gain from KS1 SATs? The tests are really supposed to show schools how they are doing. Do children really gain anything by getting any particular level or sub-level?

probablyveryunreasonable Mon 17-Oct-11 12:30:25

They really are not important for your DS. My DTs ate in year 2 and will only be doing work set by the school. They are meant to be a judgment of the school and their teaching. If everyone does extra work at home, what's the point. I don't think he'll need to give his Year 2 sats results on his uni application! grin

redskyatnight Mon 17-Oct-11 12:34:30

You don't need to prepare her - KS1 NC levels are given based on teacher assessment and the formal "test" just forms part of this.

You can of course support your child's education generally by reading to and with them, doing fun "maths" activities such as playing boardgames, weights and measures in cooking etc etc etc.

Being "quicker" at e.g. number bonds will help with maths in the long run, but is not necessary for KS1 SATS (which are untimed). Understanding the principles is more important IMO (said as mother of Y3 boy who did well in KS1 maths SATS but still mostly uses his fingers to calculate).

Sounds like you are at a very "academic" school - KS1 SATS were scarcely mentioned at DC's!

callwood Mon 17-Oct-11 12:35:37

KS1 sats have no bearing on your child's education or future. They are a pointless data-collecting exercise. Most school's don't even tell the children they are doing them. I am a primary teacher and we refer to it as 'special work' whenever the children complete assessment tasks and specifically ask parents NOT to make the children aware of them. As long as your child reads regularly with you and maybe plays some fun mental maths games on the way to school, then they will be fine. The school day is long and exhausting for most Year 1 children and they need to relax when they get home.

superego Mon 17-Oct-11 12:36:09

Do absolutely NOTHING to prepare him for the SATS.

What you can definitely do is support him at home with regular reading practise and any homework sent home.

themed Mon 17-Oct-11 12:50:35

No, not in Y1 anyway!

If you really want to, you could get a couple of KS1 maths sats books next year when he's in Y2 and get him to do a few to get used to the format of the questions. English should not require preparation if you are reading at home, etc...

pozzled Mon 17-Oct-11 12:59:28

Please don't do any formal test practice. As others say, there is NO need to do anything extra to what you normally would.

Just do the normal reading, any homework set. And if you do fun things together like cooking, walks to the park, an occasional day out, loads of learning comes naturally through that. And encourage any interests he has by looking at relevant books, TV programmes etc.

For young children I believe very strongly that the best thing you can do for them is to show them that learning is exciting and interesting.

EdithWeston Mon 17-Oct-11 13:03:08

Do nothing!

Generally you can support your child by encouraging them to read lots. And to do what I call incidental maths - playing games with two dice, cooking (weighing), loosing them with a tape measure for fun, shopping etc, etc, etc.

Elibean Mon 17-Oct-11 13:42:24

Good grief, prepare for KS1 sats? I feel sad for you that there is that kind of pressure in your school sad

We did nothing beyond ordinary, daily support with reading and homework given. I echo the other posters, and add a dollop of good luck for you in warding off the daft things other people seem to be saying around you...its so hard not to put our own experiences on to our dc, at times, but you've checked out the reality here, and honestly: its ok to relax. He'll do just as well smile

GrimmaTheNome Mon 17-Oct-11 13:58:32

A good breakfast on the morning of the test would suffice, I think. (DDs school didn't bother with KS1 SATs. State schools may have to but they are not educationally important for the child)

witchwithallthetrimmings Mon 17-Oct-11 14:05:09

It is the school that is being tested not your dc. Please don't worry.
(btw pontoon or 21 is a great way to teach addition)

Feenie Mon 17-Oct-11 14:06:42

KS1 SATS are just teacher assessment, which takes place all the way through Y2, just as in other year groups.

The only difference between the way your dd is being teacher assessed right now in Y1 and in Y2 is that in Y2 all the evidence has to be backed up by one standardised test, and that the results is reported, both centrally and to parents. That's it!

So, no reason for you to help any more than you normally would this year, or in Y3, Y4, etc.

Feenie Mon 17-Oct-11 14:07:27

Results are reported, not is. blush

Iamnotminterested Mon 17-Oct-11 14:12:51

(Whispers practicing number bonds and time tables)
Useful in ANY year, regardless of SAT's.

Slinks off.....

IloveJudgeJudy Mon 17-Oct-11 17:13:16

Don't do anything. When our DC took the KS1 SATS we were specifically told not to let the DC know that they were about to take tests. It's only to test the school, not the DC. Keep calm and don't do any more than you normally would. Don't buy any extra books or do anything at all extra. Above all, don't worry.

roadkillbunny Mon 17-Oct-11 18:02:08

Nothing at all, just like all the pp said. My dd is in Y2 so will have them this year but as far as the school and I are concerned they are just something that happen at the end of the year and nothing to worry about. The school has very good results and I guess would be described as academic as also is 'outstanding' in all areas according to ofsted however it is not a school that lives for the tests or spends most of Y2 and Y6 gearing up for SATS, the children do well with great teaching and an atmosphere that shows every child counts, is an individual and school life is just a part of over all family life.
I was quite shocked while in WHSmiths a couple of weeks ago to find revision guides for KS1 SATS, just seems to defeat the purpose!

Panzee Mon 17-Oct-11 18:14:33

SATs only exist as a stick with which to beat teachers. Nothing to do with children at all.

Feenie Mon 17-Oct-11 18:14:43

as far as the school and I are concerned they are just something that happen at the end of the year and nothing to worry about

No, the tests themselves can happen at any time in the year and the teacher assessment to which it contributes is built up over the year.

You are right that it is nothing to worry about though. smile

It's only to test the school, not the DC.

Again, not strictly true - we teacher assess constantly throughout every year to see how much children know and so that we know what to teach next. We would do that whether or not there was a test to contribute to the evidence.

roadkillbunny Mon 17-Oct-11 19:11:51

I didn't know they could do the tests at any time in the school year, they do them through the months of May and June at our school (they don't tell us when they are going to do the individual tests thankfully) so I assumed it was a similar time scale for all schools (plus doing the tests in September before barely any of the curriculum is covered would be a little short sighted I would think lol!)
I know they assess throughout the year (our school assess almost daily but by that they just look at what has been achieved in the day, what has stuck and what needs work etc), I was referring to the tests themselves by the end of the year thing smile

Feenie Mon 17-Oct-11 19:17:56

Many schools do them in May and June to fit in with end of year assessments in other year groups.

The tests are there to show anyone moderating that the teacher understands the assessment process throughly. So a teacher may use the Maths test diagnostically in January, for example, as part of the assessment evidence so far and to find out what gaps there are and what she needs to teach next.

That wouldn't form part of the final teacher assessment in June, but would show part of the assessment process she has undertaken that year and the progress she understands they have made from September to January and then from January till June.

The tests don't have to form the final assessment - they are there to help with the assessment 'journey'. They aren't necessarily there as an end of year assessment.

roadkillbunny Mon 17-Oct-11 20:10:06

That makes the whole process much more clear, thanks Feenie smile

Feenie Mon 17-Oct-11 20:53:46

Glad to help smile

TallulahBlue Mon 17-Oct-11 21:10:27

Starting to relax a little now....but, I can't stop thinking that If the SATS test is for the teatchers benefit and not the child why is the child given a grade at the end? does it not effect which apitility group they are put in?

roadkillbunny - I also have seen revision guides in WHSmiths and past test papers for sale online, this makes parents feel the presure.

I try to get my DC to read every day, we also play number games etc and there is plenty of homework to do so from reading the comments it should be enough?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now