Talk

Advanced search

how far would you travel for your "ideal" primary school?

(15 Posts)
mollysmum82 Fri 14-Oct-11 19:30:35

Just curious really - when do you think distance overrides the quality of the school?

I love a school which is a 15 minute drive away (and is undersubscribed) whereas I'm not keen on our catchment school. Our other local school is fine but very oversubscribed, so unlikely to get a place.

What do you think? Many thanks

ASuitableGirl Fri 14-Oct-11 19:35:40

15 min drive would be all right I think. Is that 15 min at school time? And how far away is reliable parking?

I like being able to walk a few minutes to school I have to say but would drive to a further school if it was the right school.

mollysmum82 Fri 14-Oct-11 19:39:28

Probably not. Its 15 minutes during the day...saying that it is quite rural so not a lot of traffic. Thanks for your reply ASuitableGirl

2littlecherubs Sun 16-Oct-11 16:10:21

My children go to a school which is a 25 min drive away in rush hour. The drive doesn't seem to bother them in the slightest

slavetofilofax Sun 16-Oct-11 19:16:43

I think 15 minutes is fine. I went to private school when I was little and had to travel about that far. I knew no different and it was fine.

I drive my ds about 5 minutes to get to his primary, and I do like the idea of being able to walk. But as I go to work straigt after drop off, or want to go somewhere else, I would probably drive some of the time anyway unless I lived really really close.

UniS Sun 16-Oct-11 20:06:09

My ideal school is a 10 min walk away. YMMV

15 min drive during the day describes the drive from nearby town to this village. It takes rather longer at school in and out time. Parking in the village is tricky unless you park at the rec or pub, each a 5 min walk from school.

Galaxymum Sun 16-Oct-11 22:36:14

We chose our ideal school in a rural area which is about 5.5 miles but as it's rural it takes just under 10 mins. If we'd chosen a school physically closer (our 2nd choice) but through town it would have taken a good half hour by car. We clock up the miles (especially if I have to go back with something!) but absolutely worth it! I see the local school we didn't select (5 mins walk) and I know we absolutely made the right decision for our DD.

Clary Sun 16-Oct-11 22:41:02

For it to be my ideal school it would have to be within walking distance - so about 15 mins on foot really.

I would never consider a 15-min drive to school (tbh if I did I'd have to consider at least 30 primary schools as we live in a small city, so it would be a nightmare choosing!)

I have just found the advantages of a local school (see threads and my posts on them passim) to far outweigh any perceived excellence of a school 5 miles away.

TethHearseEnd Sun 16-Oct-11 22:41:11

My ideal school for DD is 500m away.

We are too far away to get in sad

sunnyday123 Sun 16-Oct-11 22:58:20

my dd school is 10 min drive but i have to leave 35 mins before to get parking space - its no big deal apart from the snow - especially last winter! I does annoy me at times when i have to go back and forth for events at school but its worth it as i love the school.

An0therName Mon 17-Oct-11 13:34:50

as per Clary I agree my ideal school would be in walking distance - the advantage of that, local friends for the DC, and being part of the community are fantastic - it would have be a really poor school for me to consider travelling away from it. Do go and visit both schools before deciding

BabyGiraffes Mon 17-Oct-11 14:20:03

Our ideal school is 10 minutes walk away and it is a lovely walk through the park and over the school playing field. By car it's about 25 minutes simply due to traffic in the mornings!

3duracellbunnies Mon 17-Oct-11 21:26:07

With three children much of the time in getting to school by car is spent strapping them in, parking, getting pushchair out etc. The actual distance driving is probably less relevant. We do a mixture of walking (usu walk in am) and pick up in the afternoon as dd1 is so stroppy when tierd. It takes just over 10 min to walk, but the car route is much further, about a 10 min drive at rush hour, yet takes much longer due to all the getting in, getting out, getting back in etc. I guess my point is that if you think you will probably need to drive to your less prefered school, then driving time is probably less important than factors such as parking. I personally like being able to walk to school and find it less stressful (when they all co-operate!). I suppose the other factor to consider is the cost of fuel, not just now but in 7yrs time. Still put down your local school, being undersubscribed one year is no guarantee they will be next year.

Fennel Mon 17-Oct-11 21:46:35

Another one who agrees with Clary, we moved ours from a better to a worse school when we moved a couple of miles, just at the thought of driving the dds to school for years. Being able to walk or cycle to school and have lots of local friends is a big thing for us.

mollysmum82 Tue 18-Oct-11 14:17:02

Thanks very much for replying and for all your interesting points, I have lots to think about!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now