Talk

Advanced search

Thoughts on Stoke Newington schools: Grasmere, William Patten, Betty Layward

(6 Posts)
sanserif Fri 14-Oct-11 15:28:02

I'm considering moving to Stoke Newington before my DS starts Reception and am wondering what peoples' thoughts are on Betty Layward, William Patten and Grasmere primary schools? Have read a few threads on here but I'm hoping to get some updated opinions on the strengths and weaknesses of each as well as their general feel and ethos ahead of booking a look around them. Latest OFSTEDs of BL and WP weren't exactly glowing and seemed to especially criticise the teaching.

yellowsubmarine41 Fri 14-Oct-11 16:10:00

Do you know Stoke Newington at all? The first thing to say is that the catchment areas for these schools - especially Grasmere - are TINY (0.2 miles or something) so you first need to consider whether you want/can live very, very close to any of these schools.

sanserif Fri 14-Oct-11 19:15:23

Yup, I know. I quite like the catchment area of all the schools, so not a problem, assuming I could find something. We'd only be renting anyway, so not a massive commitment.

HannahHack Fri 14-Oct-11 19:18:38

I went to William Patten! It's ace. Very very Stokie, there's even an organic farmers market in the playgound on Sat now. When I was there we used to have lessons in the herb garden and netball lessons on the roof!

And it doesn't really matter but are you gay? A lot of my friends parents were and reading all the horrible stories on here about the treatment of gay parents at some other schools, you would probs be at home here if you were.

yellowsubmarine41 Sat 15-Oct-11 09:11:36

I've got friends with children in schools in various parts of SN. They've all got a different feel and there's no substitute for visiting in person.

Grazebrook and the Upper Clapton schools - Benthal and Jubilee etc - are also worth thinking about.

sanserif Sat 15-Oct-11 16:15:03

I'm definitely planning on visiting but just wanted to get a bit of an impression of each beforehand. yellowsubmarine, could you perhaps describe the feel of each?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now