Talk

Advanced search

Don't know what to doooo...ds2 4and a half

(6 Posts)
Doobydoo Fri 14-Oct-11 15:05:53

Advice really appreciated.
DS2 started Reception in Sept.He was really excited at going and up until a week or so ago has been fine.Now though he goes in ok but the last few days has been really crying and we took him home yesterday and he lasted 20 mins this morning.The teacher has said he is popular but can put pressure on himself.He seems to be crying over trivial things like not being able to make the paint pen work or closing his lunchbox..this is not like him.A boy he was at pre school with seems to be being unkind one minute and friendly the next which has bewildered him .We have tried to explain there are loys of children to be his firend etc.
He has had 2 lots of antibiotics and we were wondering if he is just exhausted.
He really is not acting himself at all at the moment.
SORRY FOR LONG RAMBLE AND THANKSfor reading.

yellowsubmarine41 Fri 14-Oct-11 16:07:26

It does sound like he's exhausted and the transition from nursery to reception is HUGE. There are fewer adults and a slightly more formal ethos and they have to be more independent, possibly before they're ready.

I'd let him have a good rest over the weekend and review on Monday. You could speak to the school about picking him up at lunchtime (if this is possible for you) a couple of days next week?

Doobydoo Fri 14-Oct-11 16:10:16

Thanks for your reply.We were to collect him at 12pm today and thought mon,and thurs next week as they break up for half term.He didn't last very long this morning!He was due to receive a certificate in assembly for being so enthusiastic etc.
I think he probably is exhausted it is nice to have it confirmedsmileWe will review Monday.

RosemaryandThyme Fri 14-Oct-11 21:03:26

I have a lad like this ! - in reception he froze and refused to go in one day as he didn't know where (exact spot) to put his lunch box, got all shaky when his satsuma wouldn't stay whole when he peeled it, etc basically he just saw the world in black and white and couldn't find his way through the day when things weren't exactly as he expected them to be, including being baffaled by some other children's behaviour.
Two years on he is much more flexible and these little quirks have melted away - however I do not think I handled each one with the patience and time he needed, so pleased to hear that your lad is getting some rest and home-comforts time, it's probably exactly what he needs to face the world again and what I wish I'd done for my boy.

Doobydoo Sat 15-Oct-11 07:47:20

Ah RosemaryandThyme..thaks for posting.I am so pleased he has settled now.
It is hard to have the patience all the time though,particularly when it seems so muddled.Will have to see how he goes.
The thing is we would have been happy for him to start school later.He wanted to go and was doing so well.Fingers crossed we get it sorted.

MigratingCoconuts Sat 15-Oct-11 08:25:30

My Ds is also very tired! I'm keeping an eye on him too because he has been finding it a bit of a struglle for the past couple of weeks.
My DD did too, when she was in reception....so i knew to expect it. We have been watching a lot of dvd's here lately!

Its great news your DS is so keen for school! That'll last longer than the tiredness will. Could he have a day off next week?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now