Talk

Advanced search

Flexi Schooling - Tell me everything you know

(5 Posts)
incognitwooohooo Fri 14-Oct-11 14:01:41

Message withdrawn

IndigoBell Fri 14-Oct-11 14:17:54

Most HTs won't allow it - but there's no reason for them not to. Like you, many of them have not even heard of it.

So the first thing to know is that HTs can authorise it. So if they say they can't, they have to ask the LEA or whatever they're wrong.

Secondly, like you suggest it works far better if you keep them at home all afternoon or all morning rather than sending them to school 3 days a week. Because most schools teach literacy and numeracy in the mornings and everything else in the afternoon. So they won't be missing half the lessons of a certain subject.

My HT asked us to flexi school DS when he transferred to their school blush while they sorted out another TA for the classroom. That is why I know it was trivial to organise.

AMumInScotland Fri 14-Oct-11 14:32:04

There have been a few threads about flexi-schooling over in the Home Education section, so I'd suggest you have a read through those to get peoples experiences too.

I think there are potentially some problems - it does depend on how the school day is organised - if its academics in the morning then that may work ok, but what if they run out of time and finish up what they were doing after lunch? And what if your children aren't happy to "miss out on" the more fun things with their school friends in the afternoon.

There can also be social issues - if they are the ones who weren't there when x,y,or z happened, or are never there to play with at lunchtime, then they may find it harder to make friends.

I think your husband pictures something quite intense in terms of having only one at home at a time to give them 1-1 quality time - if you're not planning to do the academics with them, wouldn't it be better to have them both home so you could do "fun but educational" activities together?

Finally, I don't want to say you're worrying about nothing, because they do have less time and energy for activities at home when they start school, but most families do still spend a lot of quality time with their children in the parts of the day/week/year when they are not in school, so they don't stop learning interesting and useful things from you, or on their own, jut because some of their time is taken up by school.

In summary, I'm not sure that flexischool gives you anything better than home educating would, if you want to have the flexibility to teach your children interesting things in the way that suits you and them.

incognitwooohooo Fri 14-Oct-11 14:39:40

Message withdrawn

AMumInScotland Fri 14-Oct-11 14:58:30

If you want flexibility you may well be better with a school which isn't as focussed on results. Have a chat to the head teachers and sound them out. If you try it and it doesn't work out, or your (or your DCs) views change in future, then you can always go up to fulltime anyway, it's not a decision that has to be made once and stuck with till they turn 18!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now