Talk

Advanced search

Have we made a big mistake?

(9 Posts)
mustdache Wed 12-Oct-11 16:28:55

DD is 4.4yrs and just started reception (state school).

We (DH and I) dabbled with the idea of a delayed start to school as she really doesn't cope very well with some situations (crowds/eating with a group/loud noise). We briefly discussed it with her to-be-class teacher on the times we met before term started (normal open days etc) and he seemed open to the idea of delayed start - said p/t would not be an issue if we didn't feel it was right for her.

However, she started p/t (as all the new starts do) and has now been F/T for almost 3 weeks and I think we've made a huge mistake going F/T so soon.

Her behaviour has deteriorated, for example, she wets her pants constantly (but not at night..no issues with health btw) and does not ask anyone for help to change, even though she has at least 1 whole fresh uniform with her and several changes of underclothes.

Has anyone got any experience of pulling back to p/t AFTER starting f/t school? Of course I'm going to talk to school formerly about this, but wanted to know if anyone had any experience - positive or negative.

TAI

(also posted in Behaviour/Development)

mustdache Wed 12-Oct-11 17:48:00

unashamed bump...anyone?

Chaotica Wed 12-Oct-11 18:12:28

I'm afraid not. But we kept DD part time (never having gone full time) until her 5th birthday. I think it is a good idea if your DD isn't ready and she sounds as if she would benefit from more time at home/out of school.

MigratingCoconuts Wed 12-Oct-11 18:19:47

common in our school.

You don't have to send her until the term of her 5th birthday so it is up to you if you believe it is in her best interests to pull (which it sounds like it is!)

lovingthecoast Wed 12-Oct-11 18:20:05

I think the trick is to move to f/t slowly rather than go from very p/t one week to f/t the next. For some children p/t works best if it's 3 days out of 5 but for others, doing every morning is a better p/t arrangement as it gets them into that morning school routine. So perhaps the p/t route you chose wasn't right for her or perhaps she needs longer.

Definitely go in and speak to her teacher. It's great that he sounds so supportive of the idea as this will make the final intergration back into school much smoother.

mustdache Wed 12-Oct-11 18:23:53

Thanks for these replies, I'm quite new to this and didn't want to sound like a complete flake (which I have been feeling lately)

MigratingCoconuts Wed 12-Oct-11 18:27:51

I'm quite new to this and didn't want to sound like a complete flake

grin I feel like that all the time!

AnotherJaffaCake Wed 12-Oct-11 18:28:30

DD struggled with Reception year last year. She did one term, and then we deregistered her to home educate. She has/had a few health problems which made school hard for her, which are now nearly resolved.

We've been home educating her since last Christmas. She is having another go at school, starting after half term (different school). This time she really does seem ready for school and at 5.5 is a lot more mature and I think knowing that there are children who are younger than her is helping her.

Personally I think that 4 is too young to be starting school for a lot of children. From what I've heard, the Scottish system is a lot better.

mustdache Wed 12-Oct-11 18:51:09

AnotherJaffaCake

Would you mind sharing with me how you knew your DD wasn't ready for school, please?

I'm not sure Home Education is for me or her really but am interested in your experience.

Thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now