Talk

Advanced search

Good ways of practising times tables

(7 Posts)
Bramshott Wed 12-Oct-11 09:31:02

What are the best way of learning and practising times tables? We are rather stuck in just chanting / testing them with DD1 (Y4) but I keep thinking there must be more creative ways . . .

bigTillyMint Wed 12-Oct-11 10:02:07

We had a sing-along times tables CD - played it alot in the car. I can still sing the 7x tableblush

Practising daily adnauseum is the way to go!

cmgjh Wed 12-Oct-11 13:01:18

If she likes computer games then Timez Attack and Tux of Math Command are both really good - I use them both extensively with my Y4 class. Also good because Tux is free and Timez Attack has a free version so you haven't wasted money if she doesn't like them!

LongWayRound Wed 12-Oct-11 13:12:05

I remember from primary school (and that's going back a VERY long time now) drawing 10 by 10 grids on lined or squared paper, numbering the squares 1 to 100, and then colouring in the numbers in each "times table". For the 3 times table, you colour in squares 3, 6, 9 etc, and you get a series of diagonals: and so on. Each table gives you a different pattern, straight lines for the 2 and 5 times, diagonals for the 3 and 9, offset for others... It obviously fascinated me so much that I can still remember it smile but maybe I was a weird kid <worried>

UsAndTwo Wed 12-Oct-11 18:35:07

My DS was very anti-learning times tables to start with in year 2 so we played catch every night with us alternating saying the next number in the times tables as we go along eg me 1x2 is 2 throw the ball to him, him 2x2 is 4 throw the ball to me etc and then swapping so he started 1x2 etc. It meant it was more fun for him (anything involving a ball!!!). Now in year 4 he can do 50 multiplication sums (for times tables 1-10) in 2 mins.

Bramshott Wed 12-Oct-11 20:28:18

Some good ideas here - thanks.

LauraSmurf Wed 12-Oct-11 21:49:19

Google Moonmaths and use this for a bit. It is a favourite morning filler in my class!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now