Talk

Advanced search

Scotland: What year, when and would they be youngest or oldest?

(5 Posts)
architien Tue 11-Oct-11 12:26:04

Can someone help me get my head round this starting primary school dates business? My brain has turned to mush and I'd appreciate someone who can get their head round this to let me know their thoughts.
I'm in Scotland and they say that the cut off is children start school in the August of the year that they would be 5 years before the following February. Due to brain being mush I can't get my head round:
1. When is that for my children
2. Would that make them the on the older or younger side of age range within their classes
If possible I'd like them to be at the older side of the class but my brain being mush right now means that I can't work out if that would happen anyway or even if that could be possible through placement.
My DC were born 12/06/09 and 1/5/11. Could anyone help me get my head round this?

EsmeWeatherwax Tue 11-Oct-11 12:31:56

Your DC1 would start nursery in August after his 5th Birthday, at roughly 5yrs 2 months. DC2 would start when he was 5yrs 4 months, they would be among the older ones in the class, as March babies are usually the oldest, with December/Jan/Feb babies being the youngest. (Although Jan/Febs can defer for a year, but this doesn't apply to you.)

EsmeWeatherwax Tue 11-Oct-11 12:34:39

Sorry, school, not nursey...lol, head exploding stuff. They would both get two years at nursery before school started. You will always be starting in the August after their birthdays though.

AMumInScotland Tue 11-Oct-11 12:58:35

Yes they'll both be at the older end of their class, as they'll be starting in August after they turn 5, with some DC in the class who won't be 5 till the following February.

There will be some older than them, but not by much - with birthdays from March onwards. There could also be some a bit older still, as you can legally defer for a year if they haven't turned 5 by the start of the school year, but its not the norm.

architien Wed 12-Oct-11 06:20:13

Thank you for this. For some reason I just couldn't get my head round it. Much appreciated!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now