Talk

Advanced search

spacing between words for left handers?

(12 Posts)
soandsosmummy Tue 11-Oct-11 10:22:09

dd (year 1) s having real problems with spacing her words and they are all over the place. Her teacher has told her to leave a finger space by putting her index finger on the page and then starting her next word. However she is left handed so has to put her right hand finger down and then cross her arms in order to start the next word which is understandably very difficult.

Obviously its a great strategy if you are right handed but DD is struggling with it so much and keeps telling me the rest of the class find it easy but she just can't do it (which is not that surprising)

Does anyone have any strategies I can try with her, please? I hate to see her struggling and sad over such a small thing

bluerodeo Tue 11-Oct-11 10:24:22

get her to do the finger thing and with her pencil put a little dot or mark where the finger is, and then remove her finger - then write the next letter where the pencil mark is

LilRedWG Tue 11-Oct-11 10:25:29

I remember doing what bluerodeo said when I was little - it works.

bluerodeo Tue 11-Oct-11 10:29:31

i am a teacher and this is what i get my students to do

redskyatnight Tue 11-Oct-11 11:52:51

DD seemed to be able to "imagine" a finger space from quite early on (I agree, don't do the complicated arm crossing thing). It's actually helped her writing longer term as once she got the hang of it she had no problem with spaces whilst DS (a right hander) was still putting down his finger for the space at a much older age.

JaneBennet Tue 11-Oct-11 12:51:12

I photocopied my DD's finger (actually it was the most of her fingers) on printer at home and cut it out. We then used the paper finger to practise the space until she could visualise it herself. Worked a treat, if you don't have a photocopier or can't be bothered with the faff, drawn round a finger and cut it out. DD was quite proud of her 'extra' finger and carried it about in the pocket of her dress.

cat64 Tue 11-Oct-11 21:32:10

Message withdrawn

Panzee Tue 11-Oct-11 21:33:20

I use lolly sticks.

soandsosmummy Wed 12-Oct-11 19:23:16

Thank you everyone.

Well it was parents evening last night so I had a chat with teacher about this and other issues and she said they'd trying doing a hand in school. DD got pulled out of assembly today to sit with the TA and has come home with a lovely laminated purple hand plus she has one in school too. I spoke to teacher when I picked her up tonight and she's promised to keep me up to date on how its going.

Panzee Wed 12-Oct-11 21:27:03

Glad you seem happy. Hope it all goes well. smile

cat64 Wed 12-Oct-11 23:03:42

Message withdrawn

soandsosmummy Thu 13-Oct-11 11:36:09

Panzee lolly sticks are a good idea too - might keep a few handy in case DD loses her purple hand

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now