Talk

Advanced search

Do I need to know how the school teach reading?

(4 Posts)
SenseofEntitlement Mon 10-Oct-11 15:54:13

4yo DD1 has recently started reception. Before she started, school gave us a booklet, all about the school, in which they mentioned that they use Jolly Phonics. Brill, we thought- she already had some of the workbooks and a CD from that scheme and was quite familiar with it.

However, the books they send home are all ORT, and DD says they never do Jolly Phonics at school (she says they do phonics, but not with the characters she knows).

Do we need to know what they do at school, or do we just carry on at home with phonics regardless? (Obviously it's not all Jolly Phonics - we have a mixture of stuff that we read to her or she reads to us)

MoaningMinnieWhingesAgain Mon 10-Oct-11 18:58:59

DD started reception this time as well. We have had no information about how they are teaching sounds/reading etc except for a very badly photocopied leaflet that basically says please spend 5 minutes each night sharing books with your child. We will send books home with them.

I am not overjoyed with it TBH, I suspect some of it is Jolly Phonics. Will be asking the teacher at parents evening how they suggest we support her with it, she is very keen to read ASAP grin

I gather (from here mostly!) that quite a few schools have done sessions for parents about how they do reading/phonics but not here. Not a great help for you, sorry!

LazyDaisy123 Mon 10-Oct-11 20:34:06

It wouldn't hurt to ask the school but it can also not bhurt to keep going with your jolly phonics, esp if she's enjoying it!

Mashabell Tue 11-Oct-11 07:04:58

I agree with LazyDaisy.

And not all schools, and certainly not all teachers, teach reading the same way.

The different phonics schemes that publishers try to get them to buy are not identical either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now