Talk

Advanced search

Alternatives to ORT??

(14 Posts)
Marne Fri 07-Oct-11 20:25:14

Hi,
Dd2 (5) is reading ORT (biff, kipper ect..) at school and is reading level 3 and 4. We listen to her read each night before bed but school don't always change her book so we have the same book for 2 (sometimes 3) days. Because dd2 has ASD she has got into the routine of reading each night and gets very upset if the book is the same as the night before and will not re-read it. Was thinking of looking for some books that were similar for us to have at home on the nights her book has not been changed. I don't want to buy ORT books as chances are she will be given the same books from school (plus i have had enough of reading about Biff and Kipper). The books need to be easy for her to understand, although her reading skills are on par for her age her understanding is not so they need to be simple storries.

Any ideas?

OliviaTwist Fri 07-Oct-11 20:35:42

Ok, I know you said no biff, chip and kipper but.....

The Works has all of the 'Read at Home' series at the moment, I think 4 for £5. They are the old style books though ie look and say not phonics.

<also had enough of b,c &k>

Marne Fri 07-Oct-11 20:42:53

Thank you, for some reason school have been sending her home with the 'read at home' books as well as the school ones (not sure why), had a look in the works and they were the same as she has been sent home with sad. We used to have all the 'read at home' books for her sister but i got rid of them as we thought dd2 would never read (as she is almost non verbal), of course she has prooved us wrong and loves to read smile.

DorisIsAPinkDragon Fri 07-Oct-11 20:48:02

What about your local library they should have something appropriate and you can (locally) get up to 8 books out at a time. I'm not sure what ort 3-4 equates to as the dd's school seem to use the rigby star colour bands but we do have some ort books coming home too (with colour banded stickers on them as well).

dixiechick1975 Fri 07-Oct-11 20:48:35

We used reading chest which I saw recommended on here over summer.

You pay each month but they send 4 books at a time.

You enter the child's reading level and any schemes you wish to have/avoid. My DD aged 5 enjoyed it and you could use the books on the nights you don't get a new book.

I've stopped now DD is back at school but would use it again.

DorisIsAPinkDragon Fri 07-Oct-11 20:48:56

The other thing i should her class teacher be aware of her refusal to reread and be respond to her need to change her book every day?

silverfrog Fri 07-Oct-11 20:49:59

have a look on the Book People - I got a Songbird phonics set on there a couple of ears ago for dd1 which she loved. not sure what they have at the moment, but keep an eye on them, as their stock changes.

Marne Fri 07-Oct-11 20:52:27

I think they are Yellow colour band.

I found a couple books (dd1's old books) that are ORT and called 'project x' and are not Biff and Kipper, but not sure where you buy these? think i picked them up 2nd hand so could be quite old. She seemed to like reading them tonight so something similar or the same series would be great.

silverfrog Fri 07-Oct-11 20:54:01

they have a set here

hth

OliviaTwist Fri 07-Oct-11 20:58:06

The book people are amazing for bargain sets, its where our b, c and K sets came from

Marne Fri 07-Oct-11 21:01:24

Thank you silverfrog xx

vesela Fri 07-Oct-11 22:01:46

The Project X books are available to read online for free at Oxford Owl. They also have the Traditional Tales and a couple of other series.

lifesamerrygoround Fri 07-Oct-11 22:06:50

DS loves the project x books. He struggles with reading and these seem to grab his attention. Try the book people, they may have a collection for good price, rather than buying a couple at full price.
oxford owl website also lets you read a lot of these oxford books! http://www.oxfordowl.co.uk/Library/Index/?AgeGroup=2

RaspberryLemonPavlova Fri 07-Oct-11 22:52:28

We have also used Book People a lot. And the children and I both appreciated having different books from school, not that I actually minded ORT.

We had some lovely Ahlberg ones, amongst others.

Will your school let you go in with your child and change them? My children's school was always happy for you to go in and do this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now