Talk

Advanced search

IEP

(6 Posts)
latesummer Fri 07-Oct-11 13:43:06

Does anyone know if there is a set procedure for IEP's. For example should it be shown to parents or do parents have to agree to it/sign it?

If a parent had been advised before the summer hols that their child was being given an IEP and starting on weekly 1 to 1 help would you expect to have seen something before now? Or just wait a few more weeks to parents evening.

Many thanks.

Carrotsandcelery Fri 07-Oct-11 13:51:19

We have just recently set up an IEP for my ds who has mental health problems.

We were asked to come up with 2 targets linked to the problems he had been having and the teacher also came up with a few targets herself.

We then had a meeting with ds, his teacher, dh and myself, where we looked at the targets and chose four. The teacher and ds then worked through the rest of the form together discussing how he would achieve each target and who would help him to achieve it.

It was then typed up by the school secretary and we were given a copy. They obviously have a copy at school too.

We are working with ds at home and at school to achieve these targets.

I think you should have been involved in the process, as should your dc, and you should have seen what targets you are helping them work towards.

I would ask for a meeting with their class teacher to establish whether the IEP has been set up and if so what the targets are, so that you can help your dc work towards them.

We will be asked back a month after the IEP was set up and will review the targets. They might be continued or new ones might be set, depending on ds's progress.

thebeansmum Fri 07-Oct-11 14:02:36

Late - I would copy this into 'special needs children' You will get loads of help from people with a lot of experience with IEPs.

cat64 Fri 07-Oct-11 17:35:30

Message withdrawn

NotMostPeople Fri 07-Oct-11 17:38:54

Our ds's teac her talked about an IEP three weeks before parents evening and then gave it to me during the parents evening to read over and sign. We were then given a revised one in July with new targets for September. I'd contact the school.

IndigoBell Fri 07-Oct-11 18:05:33

IEPs do have to be signed by parents, but it is often done at parent teacher meetings.

However that's not long enough, so I would request an IEP review meeting smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now