Talk

Advanced search

A huge thank you to mrz, IndigoBell and all others who posted

(9 Posts)
becstarsky Fri 07-Oct-11 09:54:26

Back in August I was panicking about DSs return to school for Year One after he'd struggled with reading in Reception - he was hating it, he was far behind the other kids which he felt very conscious of, and kids had teased him about his difficulty with reading and writing. I was so worried about him, hence this thread where I panicked. Just a tad.
... and you lovely people - those who posted and those who PMed me - were so very kind and helpful.

Most of all mrz - thanks thanks thanks for you - I can't tell you how much those links and advice you posted have helped. DS and I worked on everything you sent through, a little bit every day, and something clicked. He no longer dreads doing his reading book after school. And he's made huge progress, he can tell the difference between 'b' and 'd' (that 'bed'/thumbs up trick from the handout you posted - AMAZING!). He was convinced it was impossible but he's gone from saying 'they just look the same to me, Mum, I can't see how they're different, I'll never be able to do this' to seeing a 'b' saying 'oh, hang on', looking at his thumb and saying 'b' with confidence and a smile on his face. It's given him a belief that he will be able to get there and he's coming on so well. I'm convinced that it was a mixture of development (being summer born and just not ready) and teaching. I hesitate to say 'poor teaching' as so many of my family are teachers in the state sector, and I know they just don't have the time to give extra support to a kid who doesn't have SN, but is just finding it a bit hard.

IndigoBell your advice that a diagnosis didn't matter, that I just needed to help him regardless, made a huge difference to how I looked at the problem - a much more empowering way to see it.

Can't send enough thanks to you guys - everyone who posted or PMed me, it was really kind of you to offer such constructive advice and share your experiences. You rock.

Iamnotminterested Fri 07-Oct-11 09:58:01

That's lovely becstarsky smile

forehead Fri 07-Oct-11 10:39:15

That's great. The advice of people on this forum has been invaluable. I myself have learned so much from mumsnet(particularly regarding education issues).
Being able to share worries about issues which may seem minor to others, but are of importance to the poster is truly wonderful.

IndigoBell Sat 08-Oct-11 18:02:19

Glad to hear he's doing better.

popadop Sat 08-Oct-11 18:53:52

Great thread..........................

smile

mrz Sat 08-Oct-11 19:09:42

Thank you for sharing your son's success smile

becstarsky Sun 09-Oct-11 09:34:00

No, thank you! He's obv going to need quite a lot of support from me with this stuff, but having some tools that work to help me support him has helped so much. Being powerless was the hardest thing. And for DS having a sense that he can make progress - little victories every now and then - has changed how he feels about reading. Really appreciate the help.

mrz Sun 09-Oct-11 09:36:20

Self esteem is a very powerful

MigratingCoconuts Sun 09-Oct-11 09:58:31

I remember that thread...it had a huge impact with me too. I have tried books mrz recommened to help phonics learning and I really valued Indigobel's advice about dyslexia/not dsylexia.

Since then, my DD has also gone from very under confident in her reading to much happier. She went up a reading stage on returning to year 2 and is riding high at the moment! Listening to her reading is like listening to a different child.

She is still behind others in her class, but I don't care because she is happy, more confident and making progress.

So I would like to add my thanks thanks too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now