Talk

Advanced search

DEST results - are they significant?

(6 Posts)
BOOareHaunting Thu 06-Oct-11 21:13:58

My DS scored 0.6 in year R DEST.

He is a summer born (late Aug) baby so I know this may skew results, but apparently he did very well in some areas and really bad in something to do with spacial memory?

He finished year 2 at NE. (2B (lit) and 3 (maths/science)

He also seems to struggle really badly with organisation, very easily distracted, fiddles with everything and seems to lack empathy.

Infant school noted, which is true, his social communication skills are poor. This sadly leads to him getting into trouble. Mainly because when others wind him up he reacts badly and will then not say why he reacted the way he did. He is unable to ever 'win' an argument because when he does and others do the 'X did/said this' wail! DS just goes all quiet. I really want him to be able to articulte to a child him not giving up the toy he has isn't mean and stop them making him look bad for 'not sharing'.

Could this all be related? At what point can I insist (it at any) the school investigate? Does it all sound like dyslexia? (I also couldn't stand up for myself and I'm dyslexic).

Plesae help I'm at the end of my tether - it was the final straw when DS came out of school today - in the rain- with no coat and jumper. His jumper he can't find (so he'll be cold tomorrow which may prompt him to search for it!), and his coat he couldn't find was on his peg. (as was his bag he managed to bring home) hmm

I have parents eve on Monday and forearmed is forewarned.

Thanks for reading.

IndigoBell Thu 06-Oct-11 22:28:54

Unless you're worried about his reading or spelling it doesn't sound like dyslexia.

However there are many other related conditions which feature the symptoms you mention. Asd, dyspraxia, adhd...... Or may be all absolutely perfectly normal.

And no, I don't think the DEST is at all accurate.

BOOareHaunting Fri 07-Oct-11 10:09:01

Thanks. I guess my worry is that I could read and write better than DS can at the same age. Spelling was and is atrocious! DS spelling is no better.

His reading is correct for his age but he doesn't recognise words easily, often misreads letters, reads words wrong and has uneven fluency iyswim?

BOOareHaunting Fri 07-Oct-11 10:10:45

sorry meany read and write better despite the fact I am dyslexic. I learnt ways of doing my work and it colledge before my coping mechanisms failed. Thats because I have visual dyslexia and most school teaching (when I was there) was auditory.

Lara2 Sat 08-Oct-11 08:58:39

0.6 isn't really anything to worry about - a child who scored that where I work would go through the SYDNEY programme, which basically reinforces and boosts their confidence with basic phonics and spelling.

DEST has never been a diagnostic test anyway, it is about highlighting possible dyslexic tendencies.

BOOareHaunting Sat 08-Oct-11 09:02:04

Thanks Lara. That's pretty much what the teacher said back then. She thought it showed up possible mild dyslexia and said the difference in his ability in some compared to others pointed out that there was likely specific difficulties.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now