Talk

Advanced search

Integrated version of the foundation stage curriculum and national curriculum?

(4 Posts)
Butterymoon Thu 06-Oct-11 17:39:50

Just found out that my Year 1 is following an "integrated version of the foundation stage curriculum and the national curriculum. I thought that all year 1's had to follow the national curriculum? Anyone else had experience of this? What does it mean?

Helo Thu 06-Oct-11 20:43:13

They will be talking about transition, I am a Y1 teacher and I look at both the National Curriculum and the EYFS curriculum when I plan which results in a mix of provision and adult led literacy / numeracy etc.

Butterymoon Fri 07-Oct-11 11:38:50

I have heard of other schools having an hour each of literacy and numeracy a day. Won't our children be left behind with this approach?

ExpectoPatronum Fri 07-Oct-11 12:54:21

Helo, can you explain a bit more about how you do this?

For example, when you're planning, do you literally say OK, we are going to do printing of patterns using different coloured shapes, and it ticks boxes a), b) and c) of EYFS, and also meets X, Y and Z of NC?

I'm genuinely (and non-confrontationally smile) very interested in this for a few reasons:
1) I have a summer born boy of just 5 who is in Y1, but very young for it.
2) I'm studying education with the OU
and 3) yesterday I went to visit a primary school that does just this, and it looked great, but I didn't have the opportunity to interrogate them about how it works! (there in different capacity than as a parent or student!)

Thanks very much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now