Talk

Advanced search

Does your school have a parents forum (as distinct from PTA or Friends)?

(7 Posts)
Fayrazzled Thu 06-Oct-11 16:36:16

And if so, what is it's remit? Or does anyone know where I can find a best practice guide to establishing a parents forum or similar? have tried Google but can't find anything.

Many thanks.

RaisinBoys Sun 09-Oct-11 12:09:51

We have had a Parent Council at our primary for about a year and a half. Coordinated by the Parent Governors, although HT usually attends too. Meet once a term to discuss a particular topic - so far, homework, school values, community involvement and communication. All welcome, usually get between 10 and 30 parents. No decision making ability but useful discussion to help inform school policy. On the whole very positive but needs commitment to keep momentum! The Local Authority Governors Support Team had some useful info on Parent Councils.

whenIgetto3 Mon 10-Oct-11 13:16:31

We have year reps for each year and then once every 3 months they meet with the headmaster (coffee and biscuits providedwink) and he has a list of points and they have points from any parents that are discussed. All parents are emailed to be told when the next meeting is, any matters that will be discussed and a link to the school website and the previous meetings minutes. Anything can be brought up from the lack of lighting during winter months in the car park to slippery surfaces in the playground to the standard of teaching in certain areas. For us it is a simple way to express any concerns to the head without having to bother him as it is not big enough to warrant an appointment with him.

Deborah1971 Wed 12-Oct-11 20:26:22

Hi I set up a parent forum about 18 months ago. It was for two secondary schools which were merging and is also open to parents of six feeder schools.

This was my Bible that I used to do it, it's a really good step by step guide.

http://media.education.gov.uk/assets/files/pdf/s/setting%20up%20a%20parent%20council%20%20%20a%20resource%20pack.pdf

There is also an organisation that provides a one day workshop, think it's run by Parent Councils UK.

Deborah1971 Wed 12-Oct-11 20:26:47

...and I forgot to say 'Good Luck!'

UnSerpentQuiCourt Wed 12-Oct-11 20:32:45

Our school has a parents' forum. It is an informal group of any parents who wish to attend, who meet on the last Friday of every month with the HT to discuss anything on their minds - usually homework. No organisation apart from a circle of chairs in the hall.

UsAndTwo Wed 12-Oct-11 21:33:09

At my DS' primary school each class has parent rep and they attend a meeting held with head and deputy once a month to raise any general issues. Parents in the class forward concerns/questions to the parent rep and then we all get meeting minutes afterwards. Head usually asks to receive questions/concerns in advance where possible so he can look into responses before the meeting. It is not a meeting to discuss specific children's issues but focuses on general issues that affect the whole class, year or school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now