Talk

Advanced search

Westbrook Hay/Chesham Prep/Beacon/Heatherton House

(5 Posts)
Kungfumama Wed 05-Oct-11 13:52:01

Dear fellow parents:

We are relocating to the UK next year and will be doing a prep school hunting trip this December. I have done my homework, e.g. read each of the abovementioned prep schools' website, ISI inspection reports etc.

However, nothing beats first hand experience, so I wonder if any past/existing parents with children studied/studying in any of the school above can comment on:

1 - what you like most/dislike if any;
2 - which are the top 1-2 'next schools' for most children (secondary, either state/independent);
3 - basing on your experience/knowledge, how would you rank the above schools, basing on academic achievements and children well-being?

Many thanks in advance!

wellywang Wed 05-Oct-11 19:18:56

Hello,

Our children go to Chesham Prep and all I can say is that they have been really happy there and we can't fault it. It has a really nice family feel to the place, the facilities are good and our children have thrived since going there.

EBDteacher Wed 05-Oct-11 22:40:07

DH teaches at Merchant Taylors'. He thinks the boys he receives from the Beacon have had a very good education- it is definitely on our list.

Have you looked at Caldicott? We loved it at open day and it runs buses form a reasonablt wide area.

Kungfumama Sat 08-Oct-11 01:50:41

Thanks wellywang and EBDteacher for the advice! Sounds like there is quite a number of good schools near the Amersham/Chesham area, which is good to know! We are looking forward to visiting them in Dec to get a feel for each of them. Thanks again!

Kungfumama Sat 08-Oct-11 01:57:27

EBDteacher: MTS (Northwood) is actually one of our targeted secondary for our sons to get into eventually..... can you or somebody else shed some light on the following:

1 - from the children perspective: what types of boys would suit/love/thrive studying at MTS vs don't?
2 - from the school perspective: what specific qualities MTS are looking at the interviewing stage?
3 - is it more difficult to get in for the G9 entrance as I understand it takes 2 days for the assessment to complete?

Thanks again!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now