Talk

Advanced search

i feel so helpless...

(10 Posts)
cinderellasmummy Wed 05-Oct-11 10:48:20

my dd should have started school in september but is still home with me. we have outstanding school at end of our road and were hopeful she would place, however we were 20 meters further than last place offered. in april we were 3rd on waiting list for 60 place entry so were quite hopeful. we therefore turned down place offered to us an hours round trip on bus from us at worst performing school in council. we are now 2nd on waiting list.places have come up but people keep moving ahead of us on list.everyone keeps telling us to appeal but i dont think we have any grounds! now first month of term have past we have given up hope and couple of weeks ago in desperation decided to apply for schools that do have places (as they are so unpopular!) so that she can be in school. she is very bored at home after attending nursery from 6 months old and then preschool.i have called council this morning and they said they are currently taking 4 weeks to process applications. so frustrating.just wanted to have rant as feel like i cant do anything else!

gabid Wed 05-Oct-11 10:51:47

Would the council pay for her to keep attending the nursery until a suitable place is found?

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 05-Oct-11 11:14:36

Wouldn't she get free funding anyway to attend Nursery 15 hours per week?

Really feel for you. Have you asked why others have taken over your DD on the list?

cinderellasmummy Wed 05-Oct-11 11:22:29

council said new applications from people moving closer and also if older sibling gets offered place younger automatically moves to top. nursery is an option but difficult as she cant go back to her old pre school as they have no spaces and she is reluctant as all her friends are at school. i understand she still gets council funding until she is 5.

Appuskidu Wed 05-Oct-11 11:54:13

You say that this school is at the end of your road, but I presume that, as you didn't get a place, it is not actually your catchment school? Is that right?

prh47bridge Wed 05-Oct-11 12:21:04

Unfortunately this kind of thing can happen if you turn down the offered place. I hope you manage to get a place for your daughter soon.

Appuskidu - Many LAs don't have formal catchment areas for their schools. Even if they do, being in catchment does not guarantee getting a place.

Appuskidu Wed 05-Oct-11 12:24:36

Appuskidu - Many LAs don't have formal catchment areas for their schools. Even if they do, being in catchment does not guarantee getting a place.

Yes, I am a teacher; I am aware of this.

Many LEAs do have formal catchments though; I was just trying to establish what was the case here.

prh47bridge Wed 05-Oct-11 12:46:04

In that case you are more aware of how admissions work than many teachers! grin

CustardCake Wed 05-Oct-11 13:37:16

The term "last place offered" usually refers to an area where there are no fixed catchment areas. It means anyone can apply and spaces go to siblings first and then they fill the remaining spaces up by offering them to those living closest first and keep going until no more spaces remain.

The last distance offered is the distance between the house of the child who took the very last space before the school was full up and the school gates. It therefore varies (sometimes a lot!) every year and it can mean (in years with lots of siblings) that you can literally see a school from your front door but still not live close enough to get a place whilst being simultaneously too far away from any other school to get a place there either. It sounds like this has happened to the OP and it is a nightmare situation to be in but there is hope.
Have you got any grounds for an appeal? Are you SURE that the council allocated places properly (did they make a mistake with your address or put you in the wrong admission category)? Have they been allocating off of the waiting list properly. Has anyone jumped past you that shouldn’t have done?
Are you on other waiting lists? Obviously you want the school in your road and you don’t want an awful school an hour away but are there not other options? Are there perhaps other schools that are good and reasonably local that you could ask to be added to the list for or make a formal application for?
Can your DD join a nursery whilst you wait?

dixiechick1975 Wed 05-Oct-11 13:51:27

She can have 15 hours eyfs funding until end of term she is 5 - my DD a Jan birthday got hers until April.

Can she go to her preschool whilst you sort a place?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now