Talk

Advanced search

School shoes rubbing

(12 Posts)
CoonRapids Tue 04-Oct-11 20:17:53

Hello
Has anyone had experience of school shoes that rub and what to do about it? DS7 got a new pair of Startrites on Saturday from John Lewis and now has a blister on one foot. Should I get them checked and would there be any chance of getting them replaced if the fit is found to be wrong? Or should we wait and see if they just need wearing in? I just find it difficult to send him to school in shoes that are rubbing, yet don't want to send him in the too small pair either.. When he was fitted they said one foot was over 12 and the other 12. The 12.5s were too big so he got the 12s.. Hmm, dilemma. We normally get Clarks and these were £40 confused We could try a plaster I suppose. Perhaps I'm being PFB over this grin My shoes rubbed a bit at first I suppose

aquafunf Tue 04-Oct-11 20:43:36

take them back and get them changed.
the only point in paying £40 for school shoes fitted by experts is that they dont rub. I had one pair for one child rub once at clarks and they refitted and replaced without question ( i was probably looking quite scary though). would think that jl would replace without question.

crazycarol Tue 04-Oct-11 20:51:15

I always got dd to wear any new shoes around the house for a few days to help break them in, and we have never had any problem with clarks shoes and blisters. A plaster will certainly protect the rubbed bit but I would be taking the shoes back to the shop for checking and see what they say.

CoonRapids Tue 04-Oct-11 21:03:33

Thanks, will take them back and see what they say. Stupid me for not sticking with the tried and tested Clarks ones!!

4ForksSake Tue 04-Oct-11 21:21:16

DS got startrite shoes few days before start of term so didn't get chance to wear them in before which amounted to blisters on his heels. Never even thought about taking them back & he just wore those large melolin plaster/dressings (better at staying on than plasters & thicker) for few days with the shoes & then they were fine. Don't most new shoes rub a bit? confused

CoonRapids Tue 04-Oct-11 21:26:03

I guess they can do. I was just surprised because none of my DCs have ever had this before.

dolceebanana Tue 04-Oct-11 21:30:16

Yes, definitely take them back and insist on replacement pair. We had this with DD1 (aged 4), on non-school shoes, and they rubbed so badly her heel bled. We noticed that the seam was not uniformly sewn at the back, and was protruding. The shop was good, and immediately changed them for an alternative pair.

melody17 Wed 05-Oct-11 03:21:30

Childrens shoes should not rub! Take them back and kick up a fuss if you need to. They obvously don;t fit and you have paid a fortune for them!
I once bought my god daughter shoes from clarks and on the wall was a big sign 'we guarantee 6 weeks growing room' After a month they no longer fit so I took them back. The manager told me she must have had a growth spurt! I pointed out the sign on the wall and was told 'We don't actually mean it'! To which I responded 'Don;t put it on the wall then!' Suffice to say I got my shoes......but the sign was very quickly removed! I don't think they had ever had anyone challenge them on it before! Childrens shoes are terribly expensive....more than I pay for mine and part of the price includes a fitting service.
Take them back and 'demand' a better fit!!!

sunnydelight Wed 05-Oct-11 05:14:24

I wouldn't expect fitted, children's shoes to rub. I do accept that adult shoes sometimes do. Take them back.

CoonRapids Thu 06-Oct-11 12:18:43

Thanks, I spoke to a nice JL lady on the phone who said they shouldn't rub and to bring them back, so will be dragging 3 DCs into town after school this afternoon (what fun!) Hopefully we can change for a slightly cheaper pair as well grin .

Madlizzy Thu 06-Oct-11 12:32:25

My kids have Start-rite and they never rub. Sounds like they were badly fitted.

CoonRapids Thu 06-Oct-11 20:17:53

Yep that's the answer, the width rather than the length. They fitted him in an F and then when he got remeasured they said he was a G. It was a young lad the first time on a busy Sat with an old fashioned guage so guess just human error.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now