Talk

Advanced search

5 Year old DD (yr 1) with low self esteem and no confidence at school

(5 Posts)
ELZGirlz Tue 04-Oct-11 13:26:42

DD (yr 1 ) has had a rough start to year 1. She has the same teacher she had last school year and is in a mixed year1/EYFS class. This is all ok, but going into year 1 had split the children by academic ability so the less able year 1 children were mixed with EYFS.

The school admitted to the parents that the children had been split by ability. Her friends last year now won't play with and snub her in the playground. Only a few girls (5 of them) are in the mixed year 1/EYFS class and 18 other girls in the year 1 class. One of her friends told her she is now not allowed to play with her as her mum told her that she is better than the children in the mixed class! I just can't believe how cruel parents can be and there is such academic snobbery in year 1! She feels lonely at school and says the other year 1 girls she was with last year don't want to be her friend anymore.

DD has difficulty writing, mixes up the usual b, d, p, q, s and z and writes h, g, c, a, j mirror image. Her numbers are also written back to front. We have been practising writing letters in a fun way, such as in ketchup, paint, sand, air writing etc but she still reverts to writing this way. She is losing confidence and now refuses to write her numbers, in particular 5 and 9. She bursts into tears or has a tantrum when asked. She says it is difficult and often asks why she can't write. She has difficulty spelling simple words e.g. will write ot for to bab for dad etc and cannot write sentences. Her teacher says she is showing signs of dyslexia but is too young to test for dyslexia. At home, her behaviour is deteoriating, she flies off the handle and bursts into tears at the slightest thing.

Her teacher says they are working on friendships as a theme and differences between people. DD does many activities outside school and has a flair for sport and creative activities. Her teacher has been supportive and encouraging her creative side to build her confidence.

Any advice on writing practise and friendship groups particularly dealing with the parents would be appreciated.

Iamnotminterested Tue 04-Oct-11 13:36:08

Will have a think about the writing help, but just wanted to say for now how sad your little girl must feel and what complete bitches the mothers are for saying their daughters are better etc. Speechless, really. So sorry for you.

ELZGirlz Tue 04-Oct-11 13:51:38

Thank you. Being older and wiser than my DD, I walk past them in the morning, say good morning, smile sweetly as though it doesn't bother me, but it is difficult for her to understand their actions and words.

TapselteerieO Tue 04-Oct-11 13:51:47

Would looking at this help. I am shocked at the behaviour of the children being that young, I would write to the teacher about it, make them aware so they will look out for your dd and deal with this issue, it needs to be sorted.

TapselteerieO Tue 04-Oct-11 13:53:51

This looks good too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now