Talk

Advanced search

what percent of reception kids can read by end of year?

(19 Posts)
sameyeam Mon 03-Oct-11 19:01:49

Could you ladies give me an idea of what percent of a reception class (4+) can read by the end of the year in July? When I mean read, they could read: "Sally and Jane went to the bus to find Jack." or "The ducks sat in the muck and saw the big truck." I'm know comprehension is much more important, but if those were the two sentences, what percent of reception could read that by the end, and if you could venture a guess, what percent of students could read that by December of Y1. Thanks, Ladies.

mrsimpossible Mon 03-Oct-11 19:20:52

I would have thought that 80% could read that by the end of reception?

mrz Mon 03-Oct-11 19:33:55

94-97%

Hulababy Mon 03-Oct-11 19:36:53

In my school less than 90%, tbh less than 80% could read that fluently by end of reception. We do have higher than average sn though and higher than average eal too. However, by end of y2 the school does well, just ours take a little longer to get there.

ChasingSquirrels Mon 03-Oct-11 19:38:46

just tried the 1st sentence on my 5.8yo (beginning of yr 1).
He couldn't read Sally, Jane and find but read the rest.

ChasingSquirrels Mon 03-Oct-11 19:40:42

read all of the 2nd except saw.

helpmabob Mon 03-Oct-11 19:51:41

I really can't remember, it depended on whether they were a late or early birthday for the year. I have to say I did not consider it too important at that stage. I was more interested in the reading in year one. Why do you ask?

sparkle12mar08 Mon 03-Oct-11 20:30:01

Personally I'd have thought most could read that way before the end of reception, surely?

mrz Mon 03-Oct-11 20:32:43

I would expect most children without SEN to be reading those examples with ease regardless of month of birth.

trifling Mon 03-Oct-11 21:03:29

80% probably about reasonable for ours, too (high EAL, reading taught late)

AllTheGoodNamesTaken Mon 03-Oct-11 21:16:23

can't they all do that unless SEN?

AyesToTheRight Mon 03-Oct-11 21:19:18

I really don't know. Mine could but that is only my child. Would agree that names can sometimes be a bit confusing for children to read.

clutteredup Mon 03-Oct-11 21:28:33

This is an old measure though still used in many schools - showing they wouldn't even test till year one and the expectations aren't high for the early ages - www.syntheticphonics.com/burtreadingtestpage.htm They all develop at different rates and need to be given a chance to get on with other stuff not just learning at Year R. In some countries they don't even begin to teach stuff like that till 8 yo and Finland , one of these , comes consistently top. Perhaps we should let our LOs get on and play rather than insist on them learning loads of stuff too early.

maizieD Mon 03-Oct-11 21:51:35

Learning some basic reading skills is not exactly 'loads of stuff' and occupies comparatively little time in YR.

In countries like Finland it is usual for children to have learned to read before they start 'formal' learning at age 7 (because Finnish is a very easy orthography to teach and learn, so parents tend to do it at home). As reading is a foundational skill when it comes to other 'learning' it is not surprising that they can then forge ahead.

I can just imagine the howls of outrage from the mumsnetters whose dcs were reading War and Peace at 12 months old if their children were 'held back' until Y2 . It's bad enough when they don't think their dcs' reading books are challenging enough after 3 weeks in Nursery...wink

UnSerpentQuiCourt Mon 03-Oct-11 22:07:59

"Perhaps we should let our LOs get on and play rather than insist on them learning loads of stuff too early."
Totally agree. In Germany they don't teach reading until 6 and it is not that easy a language to read. And there is hardly a problem with a lack of literacy in Germany.
Pretty sure dd will not be able to read it at the end of reception and perfectly OK about it.

sameyeam Mon 03-Oct-11 22:17:08

Thanks Ladies. I was just trying to get a general idea of where my December 2006 daughter should be next year. We are moving from NY to England, and she will be in Year 1. I just wanted to make sure she is at the speed of a typical Y1 child when she starts. She is in Kindergarten here, and even though she is in a very competitive public (state to you) school, I think your standards are a bit higher in your state schools. In addition, since we will be coming in June 2012 and applications for state schools will have already passed, we may have to spend the first year in a private setting if we get placed far away in a "sink" school as you ladies say. Of course, that's if we get a place in a private school...they seem equally as difficult to get in to. Thanks, again.

maizieD Mon 03-Oct-11 22:18:03

Please; what are LOs? (Little Offspring?) I thought I'd cracked the codes, but this one escapes me grin

German is much easier than English...

I don't think it would matter too much if we taught reading later, but most children are perfectly capable of learning at 4+. Maria Montessori describes how she found her 3 y olds 'self teaching' from materials intended for older children...

ASByatt Mon 03-Oct-11 22:20:30

LOs = Little Ones

maizieD Mon 03-Oct-11 22:26:44

Thank you thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now