Talk

Advanced search

Column addition method; when is it usually taught?

(11 Posts)
Iamnotminterested Mon 03-Oct-11 10:27:36

Thanks!

HerdOfTinyElephants Mon 03-Oct-11 10:35:48

DS started to use it partway (halfway, maybe?) through Y1. Although it was boxes arranged in columns to begin with and then gradually the boxes were dropped.

Iamnotminterested Mon 03-Oct-11 10:56:01

What about for 2 and 3-digit numbers, and beyond?

sickaboutdad Mon 03-Oct-11 12:22:25

I was doing column addition with my just started Y2 dd this weekend up to 3 digits, she is in the middle group for maths. I am not sure they have covered it much in school but I suspect they have maybe last year in Y1 as she grasped it quickly, too quickly for it to be completely new I suspect. I imagine they will go into more detail with it later in the year, I think it would have been 2 digit in Y1.
Disclaimer - dd is as keen on doing maths (also to a slightly lesser extent all schools 'subjects') as she is on chocolate and had some stern words for me this morning when she couldn't find the workbooks she had begged me to buy her to do some maths before school this morning!

HerdOfTinyElephants Mon 03-Oct-11 12:49:47

They were on 2 digits pretty much right away, I think. He's definitely doing 3 digits now in Y2 but I can't remember whether they were doing that at the end of Y1 or not.

Iamnotminterested Mon 03-Oct-11 13:18:47

Thanks for the replies.

Just getting some experiences of this as my DD's school doesn't teach it until, I think, year 4. My question, why not?

snice Mon 03-Oct-11 14:08:35

because a lot of children don't really understand what they're doing with column addition whereas using a number line helps them understand the place value concept better (I think!)

Iamnotminterested Mon 03-Oct-11 14:17:30

I fully agree that they have to be spot on with place value first,*snice*.

CardyMow Mon 03-Oct-11 14:30:46

My DC's school doesn't teach column addition AT ALL. Even in Y6 they want them to use a number line. Which DS1 refuses to do for anything above a 2-figure sum. HE researched (by himself!) online for an 'easier' way to add up 3-figure plus sums...and came back with column addition. That was in Y3. He's now in Y5 - in the top group of top set for maths - and they still haven't been taught long multiplication or long division?! I taught him at home about 18 months ago. I think some schools are so stuck on the 'number line' or partitioning method, that they forget to teach column sums.

DS1 now does 6-figure column addition / subtraction. And 4-figure multiplication. For fun. Strange boy.

anthonytrollopesrevenge Mon 03-Oct-11 16:26:58

My DS's school haven't got round to columns yet and he is yr 4. He can do columns as he saw me doing some a few years back and picked it up from that. But it is frowned on at his school, also to help them get place value I think, so DS doesn't use it there.

Elibean Mon 03-Oct-11 16:29:42

dd's school teaches column addition as an extra possible technique, not as the main one - in Y4, I think. Certainly KS2.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now